Shatterproof was founded in 2013 to fill the gap for a well-funded, national, coordinated effort to reverse the course of the addiction health crisis, with the singular goal of ending the devastation addiction is causing our families. To achieve this, Shatterproof has identified three priority pillars: revolutionizing the treatment system, breaking down addiction-related stigma, and supporting and empowering our communities.
Currently Shatterproof uses a professional employer organization (PEO) and outsourced HR consultant to provide human resources support. As Shatterproof continues to grow, the organization is looking to bring more of its HR function in-house. Thus, Shatterproof is seeking a highly organized and collaborative individual to join the organization as the Human Resources Manager.
This position is ideal for someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in all aspects of human resources, while being highly organized, a great communicator, and systems-focused operator. The role will manage the day-to-day human resources activities of the organization. This person will be an individual contributor, with no direct reports. The position will be based remotely and at this time there is no expectation of travel.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specific duties include, but may not be limited to:
- Support the senior leadership team in building a culture focused on understanding best practices around leadership, management, staff development, and employee engagement.
- Develop and implement policies and processes as needed related to all HR functions, including hiring, onboarding, payroll and benefits, performance management, employee relations, and compliance.
- Advise on organization-wide communication related to employee engagement (policy updates, hiring updates, etc.).
- Conduct exit interviews for all outgoing team members, providing a summary of key takeaways and recommendations to the Chief People Officer.
- Support implementation of organization-wide compensation strategy.
- Key contributor in the development and analysis of the overall HR budget.
Risk Management & Employee Relations
- Manage the day-to-day process of ensuring that Shatterproofs’ processes are compliant with all HR-related state and federal laws (state wage and hour laws, I-9s, hiring documentation, state-specific job posting requirements, etc.) and that all processes and policies are consistently applied.
- Stay up to date with state and federal legal updates as well as bigger picture HR trends, making recommendations as needed to the Chief People Officer related to policy or process changes.
- Update, as needed, the organization staff handbook to document all organizational policies (working in support of PEO handbook).
- Act as the point-person for day-to-day questions related to Shatterproof policies.
- Serve as the point of contact for staff related to leaves of absence, disability/medical accommodation, and any complaints related to harassment or discrimination.
- Oversee employee files, ensuring that all documents and notices have been signed (if required) and are organized appropriately.
- Train and support managers on topics related to employee documentation, ongoing performance conversations, and performance reviews.
- Direct the annual review process (finalize process & timeline, train managers and employees, provide support to managers as needed, and track all completed reviews).
Recruitment, Hiring, & Onboarding
- Develop and share an understanding of best practices in job descriptions, recruitment, interviewing, and selection interviewing/selection as it relates to DEI.
- Lead process to expand recruitment strategy in building strong, diverse talent pools for all openings.
- Collaborate with leadership and supervisors in developing and finalizing job descriptions.
- Through a combination of training/supporting others and conducting some of the work directly, oversee all efforts related to hiring, including application screening, interview process, documentation, reference checks, and decision making.
- Ensure that all incoming team members or internal transfers have signed, accurate offer letters on file in line with the requirements of their local jurisdiction.
Payroll & Benefits
- Responsible for the processing and submission of semi-monthly payroll through PEO (Justworks)
- Serve as an administrator with Justworks (PEO), ADP (retirement), and any other HR systems
- Lead annual benefits renewal process through PEO.
- Direct all communications with managers and employees related to payroll and benefits actions (e.g. timecards, open enrollment, new employee onboarding materials, etc.)
Perform other related duties as assigned by manager.
The ideal candidate qualifications include:
- Bachelor's degree in human resources management, communications, business, psychology, sociology, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in progressively responsible human resource roles
- 3+ years of experience in labor relations and employee relations
- SHRM or SPHR certified highly desired
- A deep understanding of labor laws, regulations and requirements within the US
- Experience working with multi-state US employees
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to manage competing deadlines and priorities
- Strong attention to detail and ability to identify the missing pieces
- Exceptional communication skills with an understanding of and sensitivity to the target audience
- Proven experience planning, managing, and executing multiple processes simultaneously
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Time-management, multitasking and the ability to work under pressure are essential
- Experience handling complex and confidential information with discretion.
- Passion for Shatterproof’s mission and familiarity with the addiction space is a plus!
To Apply: Please apply directly here. Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Shatterproof values diverse perspectives and is committed to building an inclusive workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or prior arrest history. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
Shatterproof is a national nonprofit dedicated to reversing the addiction crisis in the United States.
Addiction is the most significant health crisis in the United States today.
For the 20.4 million adults in America with a substance use disorder (SUD), the devastation caused by the disease can be crushing. In 2018, more than 175,000 deaths in the U.S. were related to alcohol and other drugs – the third largest cause of death in the nation. Of those deaths, 47,000 were from an opioid overdose. The opioid crisis also cost society an estimated $179 billion to $696 billion in 2018 alone. These impacts are felt across a broad swath of society, from health care to employers to the government.
Even more tragic, the social isolation and anxiety brought on by COVID-19 has made the addiction crisis that much worse. Addressing this health crisis is more important now than ever. Recent reporting indicates that overdoses in May 2020 were 42% higher than in May 2019.
Founded by hospitality executive Gary Mendell in 2013, Shatterproof draws from the extensive business experience of its senior leadership and uses a for-profit, ROI-focused lens to create results. Our strict commitment to science, evidence-based solutions, and transformational change has informed the business plan we execute daily. Our business plan includes work within the following three key pillars:
- Revolutionizing the treatment system. We are transforming the healthcare delivery system so that every person facing addiction has access to quality care and treatment based on science.
- Breaking down addiction-related stigmas. Addiction is a treatable disease, not a weakness. By changing people’s attitudes and behaviors, we’re reducing the shame in order to encourage patients to seeking life- saving treatment, and providing reassurance, compassion, and support for a full and fulfilling life.
- Supporting and empowering our communities. We are providing science-based educational resources that aid in the prevention and treatment of addiction, while building hope, confidence and resiliency within families and communities, and advocating for life-saving policies.
Shatterproof’s growth and achievements are a testament to our investors and the growing number of stakeholders and communities rising up against addiction. Together, we can reverse this health crisis and create a better and brighter future, free from the disease of addiction and the stigma that surrounds it.
Shatterproof has successfully informed policy changes that improve access to science-based addiction treatment and promote lasting recovery. In the past six years we have been influential in 25 bills being signed into law in 18 states; the successful passage of the CDC’s Guidelines for the safer prescribing of dangerous opioids; and sections of federal laws that improve treatment access and quality. Our current policy work is focused on three areas: payment reform, addiction training and education, and opioid litigation settlement.
For more information, please visit Accomplishments.