901 Fifth Ave.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Washington (ACLU-WA) is seeking a detail- and process-oriented people person to help advance our cause. The individual will manage front desk volunteers, collaborate with colleagues to accomplish HR-related tasks, including assisting in recruitment and onboarding processes, and provide operational support to the entire office. The position will receive direction and support from the Administration and HR Teams, and will report to the Special Assistant to the Executive Director.
The ACLU of Washington is a leader among state affiliates of the American Civil Liberties Union, the country's premier guardian of liberty. We work in courts, legislatures, and communities to protect and extend American rights to freedom, fairness and equality. The ACLU is both nonprofit and nonpartisan. The ACLU-WA’s staff of 40+ employees and numerous volunteers work in a fast-paced, friendly and professional office in downtown Seattle. We are supported by more than 80,000 members, activists, and donors.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, socio-economic circumstance, or record of arrest or conviction.
Manage Staffing of Front Desk
• Recruit, train, schedule, supervise, and motivate volunteers who staff the reception desk and phones. Typically volunteers work in half- or full-day shifts once or twice a week.
• Handle front desk duties when volunteers are not available.
• Be an intermediary between the staff and reception team. Coordinate volunteer assignments for the reception team.
• Become thoroughly acquainted with the challenges and tasks at the front desk. Offer support and guidance to the volunteer reception team members, and be available to assist when challenging situations arise with people seeking help.
Human Resources Support
• Participate in the hiring process by posting for open positions and replying to applicants as directed.
• Participate in on/off boarding of staff and volunteers. This includes producing employee manuals, updating employee lists, and conducting the first day office orientation.
• Maintain the volunteer tracking spreadsheet and the volunteer/intern picture display.
• Coordinate assignment of work spaces for staff and volunteers.
• Track paid time off and help in the reporting of staff time spent lobbying.
• Assist the Deputy Director in coordinating HR related trainings and track performance review completion.
• Handle purchasing of office furniture as approved by the Director of Accounting and Administration.
• Monitor, order, and disseminate office supplies.
• Act as liaison between staff and building management.
• Lead the office safety team.
• Manage the office administration email account.
• Manage documents for Accounting: scanning, shredding, filing; mailing checks.
• Maintain common areas, kitchen and conference rooms, and help generally facilitate the smooth functioning of the office.
• Help maintain a positive, respectful, welcoming and professional work environment for employees and volunteers.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Excellent office and organizational skills. Strong attention to detail is a must.
• Strong written and oral communication skills. Spanish language skills are a plus.
• Experience working with people displaying unusual or challenging behavior is a plus.
• Good judgment and discretion are essential.
• Ability to multi-task and work calmly and efficiently in a fast-paced environment, to work under pressure, and to adjust to frequently changing demands.
• A welcoming, confident, and professional working manner, including the ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with volunteers and staff.
• Support for the mission of the ACLU.
• A commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice. This position is “non-exempt” under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
The ACLU of Washington comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington, Inc. and the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington Foundation. The two corporations share the same overall mission, office space, and employees. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU of Washington.”
Salary is based on experience and qualifications. Benefits include three weeks of vacation to start, medical and disability insurance, a retirement plan, and an ORCA card.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, email a letter of application and resume to Jobs@aclu-wa.org and include in the subject line of the email: your last name and Operations Assistant. In your letter, please indicate where you learned of the posting. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, at which time the job announcement will be removed from our website at www.aclu-wa.org/careers