The Grants and Research Manager is an exempt position reporting to the Director of Development. S/he will have a key role in our efforts to grow our grant and major donor fundraising; and will be expected to:
· Collaborate with staff to articulate the work of the Conservancy into successful grant proposals;
· Help support and meet an approximately $3 million annual budget in 2019 from private foundations and corporations, as well as individuals.
· Have a portfolio of grants and annual budget goals that s/he is personally expected to meet, and hopefully exceed.
The ideal candidate is a strong and compelling writer who possesses excellent organizational skills and is meticulous with details, follow up, and juggling multiple deadlines and priorities. The position will interact with Education, Advocacy and Communications staff to articulate the work of the Conservancy into successful grant proposals. The Grants and Research Manager will research prospects, develop proposals and reports, prepare correspondence, create budgets, maintain relationships with funders and program officers, keep accurate records and timelines, ensure compliance on all grants, prepare substantiation letters, and do additional research and writing for the Development department, as needed.
This staff person will spend approximately 60% of their time on grants: writing, reporting, and administration. The remaining 40% of their time will be spent on donor research, both individuals and foundations; writing fundraising appeals and other writing/editing projects; regularly analyzing Salesforce data to refine messaging and support outreach efforts for Membership and other departmental and organizational needs, and supporting and staffing Conservancy events.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
· Manage grant cycle: research and generate grant proposals and reports.
· Proactively cultivate and maintain relationships with grantors.
· Generate updated quarterly grant revenue projections.
· Provide research as requested on prospective and current individual and institutional donors for capacity and interest.
· Proactively research and suggest additional individual and institutional donors to approach for funding.
· Maintain an up to date grants management system in Salesforce, including calendaring, record keeping and filing systems to ensure accurate and on-time grants and reports.
· Prepare deposit memos and substantiation letters for grants and major gifts in a timely way.
· Meet external and internal departmental deadlines.
· Help with other writing assignments as needed. (i.e. direct mail pieces, newsletter articles, etc.)
· Be flexible to work evenings and weekends as needed to assist with special events.
· Other duties as assigned.
· At least four years of experience in development and grant writing, with a record of measurable results in writing successful grant applications.
· Must be a top-notch writer and editor with an ability to communicate effectively and persuasively both in writing and verbally.
· Excellent interpersonal skills. Work as part of a team with colleagues, assisting with department and organization-wide programs and activities as needed.
· Experience with donor research using donor research software, websites, and a nose for old-fashioned sleuthing.
· Knowledge in creating and utilizing database reports to analyze donor information.
· Comfort working with databases, including running reports and updating files; experience with Salesforce preferred.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required (Word, Excel, Outlook).
· Bachelor’s degree required.
Excellent benefits including health, dental, and life insurance; 401(k) retirement plan with 5% match (after one year of continuous employment); paid holidays and vacation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
The Los Angeles Conservancy is committed to diversity as a core value. We welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Please submit a resume, and a cover letter that lists significant grants awarded based on your efforts, as well as any memberships in Grants or Researchers organizations.