3803 N. Fairfax Dr.
Are you searching for a job with purpose? This is your opportunity to contribute your skills and passion to a national non-profit working to build better lives for individuals and families with mental illness.
NAMI (the National Alliance on Mental Illness) is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to improving the lives of the millions of Americans affected by mental illness. Since NAMI’s beginning in 1979, we have established ourselves through dedication, commitment and an unceasing belief in our mission to strengthen communities and help those in need. The heart of NAMI is our unrivaled grassroots network of volunteers in communities across the nation. Through our united support, education, advocacy and awareness efforts, NAMI is at the forefront, a recognized force in urging new ideas and solutions to improve lives.
We currently have an opening for Manager of Mental Health Policy on the Advocacy & Public Policy team, which advocates to address disparities and injustices and to promote dignity and inclusion for all people with mental illness and their families. This position is responsible for researching and developing NAMI’s policy priorities related to improving the lives of people with mental health conditions. The Manager will also support NAMI’s overall policy efforts by conducting research and analysis on leading policy issues and executing strategies to advance NAMI’s policy priorities.
WHAT’S ATTRACTIVE TO THE RIGHT CANDIDATE:
NAMI has a dynamic and collaborative policy team that is driven to address injustices and build better lives for people with mental health conditions and their families. Your work will help grow NAMI’ advance NAMI’s policy priorities and support the growth of NAMI’s advocacy movement.
This position is expected to:
- Provide research and analysis of mental health-related policy issues and develop policy positions;
- Create policy resources that inform and empower grassroots advocates and leaders to articulate NAMI’s positions; and
- Execute strategies that advance NAMI’s policy priorities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts legislative, economic, and policy analyses related to coverage and services for people with mental health conditions
- Tracks, researches and analyzes legislation, legislative proposals, and regulation related to NAMI policy priorities and provides recommendations for NAMI’s involvement
- Articulates policy positions in compelling position statements, issue briefs, fact sheets, and other policy-related documents
- Writes succinct and actionable memoranda, policy tools, presentations, and reports on mental health-related policy issues
- Reviews peer-reviewed literature to produce assessments of evidence-based strategies
- Supports the development of strategies to promote NAMI policy priorities and respond to time-sensitive opportunities at the state and federal level, with an emphasis on Medicaid, mental health parity, mental health service delivery and integration of care
- Works with the Field Advocacy team to develop policy resources for NAMI state and NAMI affiliate organizations
- Develops and sustains strategic relationships with key national and state coalitions and stakeholders on mental health and related policy priorities
- Writes and posts timely news items and web content on leading policy and advocacy issues
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Three to five years of experience in relevant field; advanced degree preferred
- Knowledge of issues related to mental health policy
- Ability to analyze and evaluate legislation and regulations
- Ability to develop impactful policy and advocacy materials for lay audiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to time-sensitive issues
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment and across teams
- Experience in forging collaborative and effective relationships
This position is based in Arlington, VA.
Must pass background check.
Minimum Education Required