Under the direction of the Director of Asian Language Legal Intake Program (ALLIP), the Community Legal Advocate is responsible for operating a Thai language legal helpline that expands access to justice for low-income limited English speaking immigrants and for serving as a team member to Asian Language Legal Intake Program.
This is a union position covered by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Answer English and Thai language helpline calls from low-income, Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander (AANHPI) language-speaking individuals. Operate live Thai hotline from 10 A.M. to 3 P.M. on business days.
- Assess legal matters, complete intake screening process, consult with Advancing Justice - LA attorneys and provide in-language counsel and advice over the phone for Family Law, Citizenship, Immigration, Employment, Housing, and other legal issues.
- Provide brief services including drafting letters, naturalization applications and legal pleadings to the clients under the supervision of attorney.
- Assist in the planning and execution of outreach activities to the community, including meeting with media and community-based organizations.
- Assist in the development and translation of written community outreach and education materials.
- Provide language support such as interpretation and translation to other substantive units within the organization.
- Attend trainings on legal areas covered by the helpline
- Support collaboration with community partner organizations through referrals and service coordination.
- Perform administrative duties including but not limited to inputting intakes into centralized database and filing closed intakes.
- All other duties as assigned
- Fluency in verbal and written Thai language and English, with strong ties to the local AANHPI community
- Dedication to serving immigrant communities and a sincere commitment to working on behalf of low-income immigrants.
- Ability to work independently, under general supervision
- Valid driver's license and/or access to alternative means of transportation.
Range - $16 - $19.71/hour