Details: Salary depending on experience
A Better Childhood fights for children who are abused, neglected, and irreversibly damaged while dependent on child welfare systems. Our work challenges existing structures to improve the lives of children, whether they are in state custody or reliant on the state for protection. We form powerful alliances with local law firms, community organizations, and child advocates who recognize that too many children are suffering needlessly and at public expense. Using the power of the courts, we develop new legal theories and apply existing law to reform the various states’ foster care and other child welfare systems. Then, we stay engaged, monitoring the states’ responses, until we produce results for children.
A Better Childhood will be expanding over the next six months to launch a major five-year effort to more firmly establish a concrete body of law to improve child welfare systems. ABC will be hiring additional support staff including a paralegal. This position is full time.
- Conduct factual and legal research
- Investigations (work with lawyers and travel to sites to determine whether case is viable)
- Maintain contacts with local participants in different jurisdictions
- Finalize papers, letters (needs strong computer skills)
- Prepare billing for defendants on post-judgment cases
- Keep track of billing periods for different cases and status of payments
- Serve as liaison for public contacts
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Knowledge of legal system and litigation process
- Excellent research, writing, and organizational skills
- Experience with legal research
- Interest in public interest work
- Passion for ABC’s mission
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, listen and learn from feedback, and make decisions in accordance with established policies
- Attentiveness to detail and overarching goals
- Ability to thrive in a busy, multi-tasking, and time-pressured environment
- Accuracy, integrity, and discretion
- Good sense of humor
- Willingness to travel
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
ABC values diversity in our workforce and encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply. Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com . In the subject line, please write: "Paralegal Position -- [Your Name]."
We expect the new hire to begin as soon as possible. We will review candidates on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
A Better Childhood is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance.