351 Boylston Street
KITCHEN MANAGER POSITION DETAILS
The Friday Night Supper Program's mission is to provide a warm meal to Boston’s Hungry in a safe and dignified environment every Friday night. Since 1984, the Friday Night Supper Program has been serving nutritious home-cooked meals to its community’s homeless, low-income, disabled and disadvantaged.
The Friday Night Supper Program is a 501 (C) 3 organization co-founded by the Arlington Street Church (a Unitarian Universalist congregation) and Dignity Boston (a congregation of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Catholics). To learn more about the Program, please visit www.fridaynightsupper.org.
The Kitchen Manager is responsible for the overall planning and preparation of the weekly meal, in accordance with the policies and guidelines set forth by the FNSP Board of Directors. The kitchen manager must be familiar with Servsafe practices and is responsible for making sure that kitchen safety and cleanliness practices are met in order to provide a safe meal to our guests. This is a part-time position (approx. 10 hours a week) with a three-month probationary period and the potential to renew on an annual basis. The Kitchen Manager is expected to work with the Executive Director of FNSP to successfully coordinate the weekly meal.
● Be present every Friday to coordinate preparation and cooking of the meal, as well as cleaning of kitchen at the end of each evening.
● Provide leadership to volunteers who are present to help assist in preparation of the meal, or who are helping in the kitchen. Host and lead meal sponsor groups in preparing the evening meal
● Plan weekly meals that are nutritionally balanced
● Order food from vendors (The Greater Boston Food Bank and Perkins) while adhering to the annual grocery budget
● Maintain adequate stock of food and kitchen supplies.
● Communicate kitchen needs, concerns or ideas to the Executive Director
● Place the monthly GBFB order using their online system and be present to accept monthly delivery (every 4thFriday)
● Interact with guests to ensure their dietary needs are being met.
● Maintain professional disposition
● Maintain appropriate food and kitchen inventory to include ordering and tracking supplies.
● Coordinate the schedule for volunteer kitchen labor (2-4 volunteers each week).
● Approximately 10 hours per week
● Friday – full day availability (approximately 12 noon to 7pm) mandatory; twoFridays off per year.
● Strong desire to assist those in need and give back to community
● Ability to lead volunteers in preparing our weekly meal
● Strong communication skills
● Past program management experience
● Culinary/cooking experience; ServSafe Certification a plus
● Ability to work with minimal supervision and delegate responsibility
● Ability to work in a fast paced environment, to be flexible and to “think on your feet”
● Familiarity with hunger-related issues and/or past soup kitchen experience a plus
● Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
Submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
We will confirm receipt of your application via email. Application review will begin immediately.
The Friday Night Supper Program is an Equal Opportunity Employer
This is a part-time position (~10 hours per week) with salary commensurate with experience (range $10,000 – $12,500). The Kitchen Manager is entitled to two Fridays off each year.
This position does not include benefits
Minimum Education Required