Details: $500 a month stipend deposited into a US bank account on the last day of every month.
Tanzania Education Corp (TEC), a Boston-based NGO, has supported the Tumaini Schools in northern Tanzania since 2008. Tumaini Schools operate three private, English-language, non-profit schools with a combined enrollment of 1,100 students. The preschool and primary school are located in Karatu, two and a half hours from Arusha, Tanzania. The secondary school is located in Makuyuni, an hour west of Arusha. The oldest of the schools, Tumaini Junior, is a K-7 school, opened in 2004, and its graduates consistently rank in the top 1% among Tanzania’s over 15,000 schools primary schools. All the schools recruit primarily from families residing in the local area. TEC raises funds for major school construction projects at all three campuses and provides financial aid to Tumaini students through its Sponsorship Program. TEC has also supported the development of libraries, computer labs and special courses.
TEC is looking for a full-time Program Director to join our team based in Karatu, Tanzania. Main responsibilities include overseeing a 3,000+ book library, developing and managing an early reading program at our primary school and overseeing our student alumni program. In addition, the Program Director will assist the Sponsorship Director with coordinating and conducting visitor tours, including student groups. This position requires strong interpersonal skills, attention to detail and the ability to work across all levels of the organization.
• Oversee library and early reading programs at primary school.
• Work closely with Junior School senior management on alumni relations.
• Assist with a variety of digital platforms that include the TEC website, social media, and email newsletters with goal to increase TEC brand awareness.
• Work collaboratively with Sponsorship Director, a second full time staff position in Karatu, on our Sponsorship Program.
• Identify potential opportunities abroad for students and work with Senior School management, teachers, and students to apply.
• Bachelor’s degree
• 1-3 years of experience, ideally in an international nonprofit setting. Experience in East Africa is a plus.
• Highly collaborative style; ability to create relationships with staff, volunteers, and people from diverse backgrounds
• Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
• Must be willing and able to adapt to Tanzania’s culture
• Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
• Knowledge of Filemaker Pro software is desirable but not required
• Sincere commitment to TEC mission
Minimum one-year commitment (2 years preferred), with arrival date in Karatu, Tanzania January 7, 2019
• Work visa fees paid by TEC.
• Reimbursement for all out-of-pocket expenses related to TEC, paid monthly.
• Rent, utilities (includes internet and a local phone) and housekeeper for a two bedroom house with Western toilet and shower to be shared. Own bedroom. Food is not included.
• Two one way tickets from your home to Kilimanjaro Airport in Arusha, not to exceed a total of $2,000
• Shared Apple laptop for TEC business; we encourage you to bring your own for personal use.
• Three weeks of paid vacation excluding June-September
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required