Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Our dynamic Development Department is responsible for raising over $400 million annually in funds in order to meet the financial needs of our organization.
The Foundations team of the Development Department is responsible for developing, managing, and growing strategic relationships with foundation donors.
The Foundations Associate will join the Foundations fundraising team and support the team during the CRM conversion phase by taking over many of the responsibilities of the current Foundations Associate while they focus on the CRM conversion project as well as select responsibilities of the Officers related to donor relationship management. This new position will report to the Development Officer, Foundations, and will provide administrative support and be engaged in donor stewardship and relationship management for current and prospective donors in support of the Foundations team. The Associate will also meet project-based needs as they arise and conduct prospect research. Candidates should have knowledge of fundraising with foundations, particularly knowledge of cultivation processes of non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
- Donor Stewardship and Relationship Management
Management of Grants, Solicitations, Cultivation and Stewardship Processes:
- In collaboration with the team lead in charge of the project, prepare donor solicitation packages, including managing data pulls and merge processes;
- Manage incoming gift processing;
- Manage donor cultivation opportunities (mail and email), in collaboration with the foundations team;
- Manage Foundations’ attachments “bank” including the creation and updating of attachments derived from information held in donor database (donor lists, submitted proposals, and others);
- Complete online proposals and reports with guidance from Development Officer and/or Director of Foundations.
- Relay accurate and appropriate information about MSF’s general mission and specific projects to donors who reach out via website and phone;
- Manage a small portfolio of current and prospective donors that will be delegated by Development Officers.
Event and Donor Meeting Management (including virtual events)
- In coordination with Foundations team, organize and manage the logistics of foundation-specific events (and other events). Coordinate with MSF and external parties as needed. Assist in the content preparation;
- When appropriate, set up donor visits for executive director and other staff;
- Serve as liaison for all events including those that require coordination with other development units as well as with other MSF departments.
POSSIBLE - Maintenance of Foundation Website
- Keep foundations webpage updated and work with Foundations team to create content and design new pages as needed.
- Prospect Research
- Support the Foundation Team in conducting research and due diligence on current and prospective foundation donors;
- Support the implementation of a prospect tracking system in the current and future donor database (CRM);
- Identify and utilize tools for prospect research and data mining for maximum impact;
- Systems Management
Support Foundations Associate with Systems Management and serve as back up in periods when Associate is fully dedicated to CRM conversion:
- Maintain and refine deadline tracking systems for proposals and reports, and schedule follow-ups using donor database and other tools development by Foundations team;
- Review upcoming deadlines with Foundations team and collaborate with Director of Foundations and Foundations Officers to ensure that appropriate assignments are made and fulfilled;
- Assist in the production of revenue reports and assessment data;
- In coordination with the Director of Foundations and other team members, develop documents, and update best practices and procedures for the team;
- In coordination with Grants Officer and Foundations team, manage system to request and track the team’s programmatic information needs (both narrative and financial) for soliciting and reporting purposes;
- With the assistance of the Foundations intern and volunteer, maintain filing system for electronic and paper files.
- Contribute to the development of the Foundations team annual plan and budget including review of achievements and discussions of required changes in goals or objectives resulting from current situation and conditions;
- Manage foundations office volunteers;
- Attend staff meetings and office-wide debates to participate in information sharing across all departments, and stay informed on important MSF topics so as to be able to contribute to the organization’s ongoing development;
- Responsible for staying abreast of MSF and international news and for building a general overall knowledge of the organization, including regularly reading general MSF publications and attending office presentations and other meetings in order to understand and explain MSF programs and financial information;
- Other tasks, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Administrative work experience.
- Keen attention to detail with ability to track multiple projects at one time.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work under pressure and with deadlines.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Reliable and ability to take initiative.
- Strong computer literacy, including ability to use word processing, spreadsheet and database software, and to search the internet for research purposes.
- Familiarity with and commitment to the principles and work of MSF.
- Knowledge of international affairs and humanitarian issues.
- Proven research experience.
- Experience using ROI and/or SalesForce donor databases.
MSF-USA/Doctors Without Borders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are constantly striving to make our organization anti-racist. Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect this same commitment from our staff.
Pay Class & Contract Type
Temporary FT Hourly Nonexempt
Starting salary low 60 annually /$33.19 per hour (commensurate with experience)
Working Time (Hours Per Week)