767 Hicks Street
Background/Summary: For 15 years, Red Hook Initiative (RHI) has nurtured young people in Red Hook, Brooklyn, to be inspired, resilient and healthy, and to envision themselves as co-creators of their lives, community and society. A key component of our Young Adult (ages 18-24) Program is employment support services, from basic professional and interview skills to strategies for self-promotion, job placement and long-term job retention. The Employment Assistant that supports the Young Adult Employment Coordinator has the opportunity to profoundly impact the livelihood and employment trajectory of over 100 young adults in a community where 75% of people aged 18-24 are unemployed.
The Employment Assistant provides administrative support and one-on-one coaching and basic case management for young adults who are seeking employment and vocational training.
Reports to: Young Adult Employment Coordinator
Responsibilities: The responsibilities of the Employment Assistant include but are not limited to:
Create Avenues to Employment
- Provide one-on-one employment and job search support, helping participants to set employment goals, create action plans and track progress towards meeting their individual employment goals.
- Work directly with young adults in areas such as coaching, resume writing, cover letter writing, job searches, job applications and interview preparation.
- Support with the creation, recruitment and facilitation of RHI’s job readiness training workshops aimed at growing young adults’ self-efficacy and employability, and in the coordination of 8-week internship placements for participants.
- Develop and maintain database/inventory of employment, training, and internship opportunities and young adults who are seeking employment.
- Conduct and track employment verification for employed young adults.
Collaborate and Innovate
- Work closely with the Digital Stewards Job Training Program to support participants’ progress in meeting post-training employment goals.
- Collaborate with RHI’s full Young Adult Team (Social Worker, Case Manager, College Retention Specialist) to make necessary referrals, plan events, and contribute to the implementation of the young adult program strategy.
- Collaborate with RHI’s High School Team to support youth who are pursuing vocational opportunities after high school.
- Maintain accurate records including weekly logs, documentation of services, and sign-in sheets for training participation.
- Ensure the employment pieces of RHI’s Salesforce database are up to date, including support services and employment verifications.
- Attend and contribute to all-staff meetings and Young Adult team and case conferencing meetings.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- At least one year of employment doing case management, including resume and cover letter writing and interview preparation
- Familiarity with local job placement agencies, job developers and opportunities within the local workforce
- Ability to embrace a strength-based approach to youth and community development within an urban context
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to keep accurate records and statistics
- Willingness to collaborate on projects and work with a team
Experience and Qualifications:
- Passionate about community-based youth development
- High School Diploma
- Member of the Red Hook community preferred
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.