Part Time Temporary
120 Wall Street
Established in 1989, the Asian American Federation (AAF) works to raise the influence and well-being of the pan-Asian American community through research, policy advocacy, public awareness, and organizational development. More information can be found at www.aafederation.org.
We are seeking a highly motivated, energetic individual to support our immigrant integration program that we conduct in partnership with several of our member organizations in Midwood, Brooklyn. The individual will support the Legal Services Manager by providing administrative support for the planning, coordination, implementation, supervision, and evaluation of the legal services component of our immigration-integration programs. The primary objective of this position is to assist with the completion of citizenship applications and deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) applications.
Hours are part-time (10 hours per week). The position is ideal for a candidate with some casework or social work experience looking to gain experience with immigration legal work at a nonprofit organization. The position will last until December 31st, 2018. Training on the U.S. citizenship process and completion of applications will be provided.
· Provide administrative and logistical support to the ONA Legal Services Manager
· Pre-screen and schedule clients for application assistance, consultations or follow-up after one-on-one consultation
· Conduct client intake and completion of citizenship applications
· Schedule client consultations and follow-up after citizenship drives and one-on-one consultation
· Maintain and organize legal case files. Assist in preparation of quarterly reports
· Conduct organizing and outreach for two Citizenship Drives
· Supervise and work with an intern
· Must be able to work a minimum of 10 hours per week
· Perfect for a highly organized self-starter with experience owning their own projects
· 1 to 2 years previous experience in social work, case work, legal services, legal administration, and/or working with marginalized groups preferred
· Experience working with community/legal organizations, nonprofits, and/or elected offices
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to work independently and within a team
· Interest in working on issues related to the Asian American community, immigrants, and other advocacy work
· Ability to maintain client confidentiality.
· Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
· Bilingual in Spanish or Urdu a plus
To Apply: Please email cover letter and resume with [Last Name] Legal Services Caseworker in the subject line to HR@aafederation.org by no later than April 9th, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants considered for the position will be notified for an interview. No phone calls, please.
The Asian American Federation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in Urdu or Spanish a plus
Minimum Education Required