Americans for Immigrant Justice (AI Justice) seeks an experienced immigration attorney to provide direct legal representation to survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking before the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service, the Immigration Court (EOIR), and the Board of Immigration Appeals.
About Americans for Immigrant Justice (AI Justice):
Americans for Immigrant Justice (AI Justice), a not-for-profit law firm founded in 1996 to protect and promote the basic human rights of immigrants, has a multicultural and a multilingual staff. AI Justice has represented clients from around the world and is recognized as a powerful advocate and national leader for immigrants' rights. AI Justice works closely with traditional civil rights organizations as well as with grassroots organizations and local, state and national government officials to effect positive change in immigration policies. Founded in 1997, AI Justice’s Lucha Program provides free legal representation to immigrant survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking. The Lucha team confronts challenges faced by immigrant survivors through a combination of direct services and systemic advocacy. Lucha also plays a pivotal role in educating law enforcement and other government agencies at the local, state, and national levels about how to effectively support immigrant survivors of abuse and trafficking.
General Responsibilities: Legal representation in immigration proceedings before the Immigration Court; appellate proceedings before the Board of Immigration Appeals; and proceedings before the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. The Staff Attorney shall represent clients seeking immigration benefits, including asylum, VAWA Self-petitions, U-nonimmigrant status, T-nonimmigrant status, and any other immigration benefit for which a survivor may qualify. The Staff Attorney shall represent all eligible children of Lucha clients, including in the consular process.
· Interview potential clients, determine income eligibility, and develop an assessment of the legal merit of their claims and the appropriateness for representation by AI Justice.
· Effectively manage a large caseload, including VAWA, U-visa, T-visa, & Removal Defense, using online case management tools.
· Maintain up-to-date knowledge on changes in immigration law and procedures.
· Maintain current and detailed case management records.
· Conduct outreach efforts and maintain relationships with domestic violence and human trafficking providers, governmental agencies, law enforcement officials, and community-based organizations.
· Educate and provide technical assistance to community partners concerning immigration issues affecting survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking.
· Represent AI Justice's Lucha Program at community and coalition meetings.
· Work closely with community partners to ensure clients’ holistic needs are met.
· Work closely with the assigned Lucha paralegal to execute the duties above.
· Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
· Must be an active member in good standing of any State Bar.
· Fluency in Spanish required.
· Two to three years of experience providing immigration legal services to low-income individuals preferred.
· Experience with humanitarian immigration relief (VAWA, U-visas, and T-visas) strongly preferred.
· Experience working with survivors of domestic violence and/or human trafficking strongly preferred.
· Experience training legal and social service advocates preferred.
· Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
· Excellent written and oral advocacy skills.
· Ability to work well with people of diverse educational, cultural and professional backgrounds
· Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
· Excellent time management skills.
· Proficient knowledge of MS Office.
*AI Justice's physical offices are currently closed due to Covid-19. The Staff Attorney will be working remotely until further notice.*
Americans for Immigrant Justice (AI Justice) seeks an experienced immigration attorney to provide direct legal representation to survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking before the U.S. Citizenship and…
AI Justice offers a comprehensive benefits package, including excellent health, vision, and dental coverage; 15 paid days of vacation leave; 12 paid holidays; 10 paid sick days; and 3% employer contribution to 403(b) retirement plan after 1 year of employment.
AI Justice offers a comprehensive benefits package, including excellent health, vision, and dental coverage; 15 paid days of vacation leave; 12 paid holidays; 10 paid sick days; and 3…
Fluency in Spanish required.
Fluency in Spanish required.
AI Justice is an EOE/AA employer and we strongly encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, women, members of the LGBT community, people with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups.
Please email your resume and cover letter in PDF format, with subject line "LUCHA PROGRAM STAFF ATTORNEY" to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also mail your resume to Human Resources, Americans for Immigrant Justice, 6355 NW 36 Street Suite# 2201, Miami, FL 33166. (*email is preferred).
Interviews: Top candidates will be invited to interview and submit references.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
AI Justice is an EOE/AA employer and we strongly encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, women, members of the LGBT community, people with disabilities, and other…