1047 Amsterdam Avenue
Technical Director, Cathedral Productions
Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine
The Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine, the mother church of the Episcopal Diocese of New York and the seat of its bishop, is chartered as a house of prayer for all people and a unifying center of intellectual light and leadership. It serves the many diverse people of our diocese, city, nation and world through an array of liturgical, cultural and civic events; pastoral, educational and community outreach activities; and maintains the preservation of the great architectural and historic site that is its legacy.
The Cathedral Productions program supports a wide range of activities and programs at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, and has primary management responsibility for all events and productions at the Cathedral. Cathedral Productions supplies technical/production support for Church services, as well as for over a hundred hosted events yearly, and coordinates administrative and technical support for activities in Synod Hall, Cathedral House and elsewhere on the Cathedral Close.
The Technical Director, working with the Director of Cathedral Productions and the Production Coordinator, oversees all technical aspects in support of the many events produced and presented at the Cathedral. The Technical Director is responsible for efficiently overseeing behind-the-scenes logistics; maintenance and operation of technical equipment including sound, lights, AV, staging and seating; renting of additional equipment, and hiring and supervision of supplementary technical staff.
The total compensation package for this full-time position includes a competitive salary and excellent benefits. The position reports to the Director, Cathedral Productions and works closely with all departments throughout the Cathedral.
· Hands-on maintenance and operation of all technical equipment related to Cathedral productions.
· Under the supervision of the Director, Cathedral Productions, the Technical Director coordinates the organization and distribution of production budgets, crew & equipment schedules, over-hire payroll, and other office-related paperwork.
· Coordinate and supervise all technical operations. Ensure that all equipment is safe and up to code and that work is completed in a safe manner.
· Working with the Director, Cathedral Productions, support internal and external programming, particularly in relation to technical equipment and staff. This includes helping to advance events, running events, and any post-production work needed for those events.
· Using Vectorworks, create working drawings for all events that fall under Cathedral Productions.
· Minimum four years of professional experience in an upper-level production position for a medium- to large-size institution. BFA/BA in theater production preferred.
· Working knowledge of Vectorworks, AutoCAD, Microsoft Excel & Outlook.
· Working knowledge of the operation of state-of-the-art audio, lighting and video systems.
· A sound knowledge of electrical distribution systems, and working knowledge of rigging and carpentry/construction practices.
· Demonstrated self-motivation and discipline to regularly set and achieve goals;
· Ability to maintain a high level of poise and professionalism in all circumstances;
· A high sense of urgency and unquestioned ethics and professional standards;
· A team player who will successfully integrate into the Cathedral community and community beyond; and contribute to a healthy organizational culture;
· Flexible hours, late nights and weekend hours are required.
Excellent benefits package including health insurance and 403(b)
Minimum Education Required