315 Avenue U
An Invitation To Apply for the Position of
Director of Special Education
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
About Coney Island Prep
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously. Professionals balance their sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and are supported every step of the way.
Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its three schools, including 300 scholars in kindergarten – fourth grade at the elementary school; 360 scholars in fifth – eighth grades at the middle school; and 350 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school. The mission of Coney Island Prep is to prepare every student to succeed in the college and career of their choice. We achieve success through a rigorous academic program in a supportive and structured school community.
There is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds. So we hire professionals who are committed to the core. It’s high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming. But we wouldn’t have it any other way. And neither would you. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. Our leaders work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. We need leaders who aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support. They’re driven by personal responsibility, data, and results, and they’re not above doing whatever’s asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity along the way.
What We Have to Offer
There are plenty of ways you can make an impact. And our team is all in. You have the opportunity to work with students, and there’s always someone who’s got your back from coaching you through a bad day to helping you grow professionally. And while the environment can be hectic and ever-changing, you’ll have all of the technology and caffeine you need to get the job done.
Mindsets and Experience
- Passion for education and a dedication to Coney Island Prep’s mission
- Steadfast belief that all students can achieve at the highest academic levels and deserve an opportunity to succeed in the college and career of their choice
- Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree required, including a degree in Special Education
- At least three years of Special Education leadership experience
- Experience with management and/or coaching special education teachers
- Cultural competencies to work in low-income communities and a willingness to examine own biases across lines of sameness and difference
- Maintains professionalism through excellent organizational skills, timeliness, regular communication, and meeting deadlines
- Self reflective and open to feedback, with the ambition and desire to grow one’s professional practice
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- A positive, solutions-oriented attitude and drive for excellence
- Eagerness to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Experience with organizing, planning, and facilitating large events and meetings.
- A strong track record of building positive relationships across various stakeholder groups demonstrating a value towards diversity and inclusivity
- Oversee the development of Coney Island Prep’s special education program
- Ensure appropriate delivery of special education instruction and related services as stipulated on IEPs
- Ensure compliance by the school with all local, state and federal laws and regulations relating to special education students
- Manage school-based SPED coordinator to act as LEA representation for all IEP meetings
- Serve as the main point of contact with the Committee on Special Education
- Ensure appropriate implementation of 504 plans by the school and compliance with all 504 legislation
- Ensure that services provided by outside providers are of high quality and aligned with students’ IEPs
- Provide differentiated instructional coaching and professional development for all special education teachers and instructional leaders in order to:
- Cultivate a standards-based, data-driven culture
- Observe special education teachers and provide specific strategies for improved instructional delivery and behavior management
- Provide feedback on lesson plans created by special education teachers
- Provide instructional strategy best practice training and behavior management training
- Model best practices
- Support long-term planning and implementation of life skills and behavior programs
- Analyze student achievement and behavioral data at the individual student, school, and organization level
- Serve as an expert in trends, best practices, and instructional and behavioral strategies in the field of special education
- Lead and facilitate professional development
- Secure external resources, professional development and materials to support special education teachers
- Work with Principals and Directors of Operations to make special education instructional decisions based on student performance
- Collaborate with Principals and Directors of Operations to determine appropriate resources and support for special education teachers and students
Benefits and Compensation
- Employees at Coney Island Prep are provided with a generous salary and an annual retention bonus after their first year.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as a 403(b) retirement benefit package with match and Paid Family Leave.
- Staff are provided with a MacBook Air and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in their role.
Interested applicants should go to http://coneyislandprep.org/careers/career-opportunities to apply for available jobs. Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability. We want Coney Island Prep to be a place where students and staff of all backgrounds, experiences, and identities feel as though they feel valued and can excel.
Minimum Education Required