The American Civil Liberties Union of Rhode Island is seeking a Policy Associate. The duties for this position involve working on, and assisting the Executive Director in, various day-to-day and long-term programmatic and organizational activities, including lobbying at the General Assembly, research and report writing, representing the ACLU in public forums, serving as a liaison with other community groups, and various administrative and other tasks as necessary.
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
● Assist the Executive Director in lobbying activities at the State House (generally January through June). This includes reviewing, researching and drafting legislation, writing position statements, testifying at committee hearings, and regularly attending legislative sessions and lobbying legislators on an individual basis.
● Write letters and prepare fact sheets, email alerts and other materials to and for ACLU members and others on legislative issues.
● Engage in similar activities on issues occurring at the local level, including representing the ACLU at meetings and hearings of public bodies and corresponding with public officials and others on civil liberties matters.
● Analyze and testify on state administrative regulations.
● Represent the ACLU in media interviews and inquiries, and assist with our social media outreach on civil liberties issues.
● Research and write reports, including editing and layout.
● Serve as liaison with other public interest and community organizations, and work with and organize coalitions on issues of mutual interest and concern.
● Assist with special educational projects, such as monthly cable program, writing and publication of brochures, organizing public forums, and similar efforts.
● Assist with miscellaneous administrative and fundraising tasks and other projects as necessary in a small office, as assigned by the Executive Director.
Evening work is regularly required during the legislative session, and some evening and weekend work is otherwise required.
The position requires strong organizational, communications, administrative, writing and computer skills. Good interpersonal skills, a sense of humor, thick skin and a strong backbone also go a long way. Applicants should be committed to the broad-based, non-partisan civil liberties mission of the ACLU and its defense of popular and unpopular causes alike. The Policy Associate reports directly to the Executive Director, but also works as directed with other staff.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send a resume, cover letter and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Policy Associate Search.”
Please indicate in your cover letter any salary requirement and where you found this job listing. No phone calls, please.
The ACLU of Rhode Island is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals.