2970 Belcrest Center Drive
The Finance Manager - Contracts is responsible for all financial aspects of grants management leading the process from RFP and Budget Development to successful and complete expenditure and final reporting. S/he is a member of the financial management team who works in a strong and collaborative process with La Clinica’s Senior Leadership on the programs side and with our development team. The successful candidate will have strong accounting skills, interpersonal skills that allow them to navigate complex funder relationships, and be comfortable working with several high level staff to help them understand and manage their budgets. As part of his/her team, the Finance Manager - Contracts will oversee the Grant Accountant who is responsible for invoicing and day to day accounting of the funds and the first point of contact acting as liaison to funders on financial agreements and invoicing.
La Clinica del Pueblo is a community based nonprofit that is growing and vibrant. La Clinica receives more that 50% of its funding from many small and large grants ranging from 300K to 1.5M. The portfolio or grants spans multiple federal awards, state and local funding as well as foundations. There are over 50 awards that require matched accounting and several others that do not. Each award has separate reporting requirements on distinct grant years.
· Work collaboratively with program staff to architect grant budgets that meet the needs of programs and funders while minimizing the accounting complexities.
· Meet regularly with Program Leadership to ensure proper expenditures, adjust grant spending and identify funding gaps and work with the development and program teams to compete for and win funding to fill these gaps.
· Supervise the Grant Accountant in invoicing, billing and reporting to funders as the grant calendar requires.
· Ensures compliance with sponsoring agency regulations.
· Develops procedures, interacts with program staff and outside entities, performs general accounting related specifically to grants/contracts ensuring compliance with grantor and laws.
· Works with Programmatic staff to support their efforts in budget monitoring.
· Prepares internal and external financial, budgetary and accounting reports of considerable complexity requiring independent judgment, initiative, and extensive knowledge of the organization, accounting, and must learn policies and procedures of the various federal, state and local government agencies.
· Collectively works with the Development team to construct proposals and budgets
· Collectively works with Development team to have kick off meetings at the beginning of newly awarded contracts and grants.
· Report SEFA to internal auditors
· Responsible for agency’s direct and indirect allocations
· Assist CFO, Senior Grant Accountant and Program Directors on annual agency budget
· Determines funding allocations to programs and Grants
· Uploads budget to Accounting software
· Creates financial reports for grants/contract in accounting software
· Creates Grant and Project Set up for proper Expense and revenue recognition.
· Adjust GL entries for grants/contracts
· Defines which dollars will be used for staffing and other indirect activities
· Implementing process improvement on fiscal activities
Reporting Relationship: Chief Financial Officer
· Oversee the financial reporting and financial record maintenance; preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports for funders and program directors.
· Monitor Grant AR and be the point of escalation in following up on past due payments.
· Supervise the Grant Accountant in reviewing payments charged to grants for conformity to budget; charge those costs to grants monthly.
· Oversee the preparation of grant billings, reconciliation and monitoring of grant receivables and pursue unpaid billings.
· Oversee proper expense and Revenue classification based on grantor guidelines and monitor budgetary controls of grants and contracts.
· Work closely with management staff and development staff to ensure effective support to departments.
· Provide assistance in the general accounting and cash management areas.
· Assist in the preparation and coordination of schedules for the A-133 audit.
· Coordinate with and serve as backup for the Controller
· Prepare fiscal document and reporting for UDS audit
· Assist in Medicare and Medicaid FQHC cost reporting
· Develop Accounting Software dashboard
· Other special projects as assigned.
· Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or finance or other degree with commensurate relevant experience required. MBA preferred.
· At least one year of management experience required.
· Two or more years in a mission driven nonprofit subject to complex Federal grant compliance and accounting or financial management required.
· Experience in an accounting firm or CPA a plus.
· Knowledge of US government grant-making rules and regulations, including OMB Circulars A- 110, A-122, and A-133.
· Clear understanding of grant making strategies and accounting mechanisms used to achieve them.
· Highly proficient in applying technology to work processes.
· Strong Excel spreadsheet skills required.
· Advanced experience accounting software required.
· Experience with Sage Intacct preferred, but not required
· Knowledge of best practices and ability and eagerness to design and apply such to current environment.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills; demonstrated skills in diplomacy, team building, and connecting people to a common vision.
· Ability to present complex information easily and accurately.
· Demonstrated ability to analyze qualitative and quantitative information and the skill to teach others to do the same.
· Comfortable working in a changing environment and taking a lead role in implementing new systems with staff at all levels in the organization.
Level of Language Proficiency
· Bilingual – English/Spanish preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates click on the link to apply!