Are you eager to join an organization that is on the rise and growing its impact in both breadth and depth? Do you have a strong equity mindset; a commitment to bringing a DEI lens to philanthropy, fundraising, and communications; and appreciate working in an environment that questions norms and encourages new ways of living our mission? Do you love leading and supporting an exceptional team who is eager to grow and contribute in new and exciting ways to an organization? New Futures seeks a Director of Development and Communications to ensure the visibility and long-term sustainability of our organization. New Futures is currently supported entirely by contributed revenue, and has a 2021 budget of $1.9 million, but will grow to approximately $2.5 million in the next few years. Our success relies upon community engagement, contributed funds, and strong branding. This position is essential to advancing New Futures’ mission and reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT. In this role, you will:
- Bring the lens of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging to every facet of your role; have a commitment to growing your DEI lens personally and professionally; and advance our efforts to live our commitment to equity.
- Lead with a community-centered fundraising approach.
- Bring your leadership voice, perspectives, and vision to New Futures’ Leadership Team.
- Lead an exceptional team to success with the right balance of autonomy, accountability, and support.
- Invest in and build on the experience and expertise of our team as New Futures also grows.
- Advise and advocate for additions or changes to our development staffing model.
- Manage up to the CEO to help ensure organizational effectiveness.
- Provide updates to and engage the Board in fundraising strategies and results, communications strategies and results, and other key areas in your purview.
- Lead development committee meetings, participate in Board meetings, and serve as a representative of New Futures at other key organizational functions, as needed.
FUNDRAISING. In this role, you and the team will:
- Create a multi-year development vision and produce and implement comprehensive annual development plans and strategies.
- Plan and execute a major gifts strategy to identify, engage, and solicit major and leadership gifts from individual donors.
- Solicit and secure gifts from individual, corporate, and foundation donors.
- Lead and engage the development committee and board in fundraising efforts, including ensuring that the Board has the tools it needs to fundraise successfully.
- Develop and execute annual fund campaigns including direct mail, giving days, and other activities.
- Ensure the post-COVID re-envisioning, planning, and execution of our high-stakes annual benefit event, as well as other donor events.
- Develop efforts to maintain and grow corporate support.
- Implement strategies for attracting new donors and expanding the amount of support from existing donors.
- Develop and lead ongoing donor stewardship initiatives.
- Oversee and support the work of the grant writing consultant.
COMMUNICATIONS AND PUBLIC RELATIONS. In this role, you and the team will:
- Develop and implement an organizational communications strategy that raises the visibility and profile of New Futures.
- Develop an equity-centric messaging framework and toolbox, ensuring consistency and strength of messaging.
- Ensure that we utilize (and prioritize, as needed) various communications vehicles, including but not limited to social media, newsletters, annual reports, media placements, and print publications.
- Ensure that we have a dynamic, effective website that is continuously updated and provides opportunities for further communication and engagement.
- Develop and implement a strategy for social media.
DATA, FUNDS MANAGEMENT, AND DONOR STEWARDSHIP. In this role, you and the team will:
- Ensure a strong and reliable gift management process, including gift tracking, acknowledgement, and stewardship.
- Engage the team, Board, Associate Board, and other constituents in stewardship, as appropriate.
- Use the Salesforce database and other tools to track fundraising progress and trends across multiple years and share data with the staff and Board.
- Ensure full utilization of our database, including contact reports and other reporting.
- Maintain donor and prospect information and track donations made throughout the year.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Commitment to New Futures’ mission
- Unwavering commitment to equity, passion to disrupt systemic racism, and experience advancing DEI objectives within an organization
- 2+ years in a development and/or communications leadership role (director+), following 3+ years development and/or communications role(s)
- Strong management acumen and a commitment to investing in a team
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task in a deadline-driven environment
- Ability to produce and manage others in producing high-quality, well-written work
- Strong relationship-building acumen
- Ability to manage up to organizational leadership, including the CEO and Board
- Ability to think strategically, translate that strategy to clear goals and priorities, and manage the team to meet its goals
- Ability to analyze and utilize data to drive performance
- Willingness to work collaboratively
- Flexibility in a dynamic environment
Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
WHY WORK AT NEW FUTURES?
- We have an exceptional team, driven by our mission and committed to impact on individual and organizational levels. We value collaboration and enjoy the opportunities we have to connect and work together.
- We believe in flexibility. COVID showed us that our team can effectively work virtually and that flexibility and self-care are critical to a happy and healthy workforce. New Futures will continue to provide flexibility for our exceptional team.
- We provide a strong benefits package, including ample paid vacation and sick leave, health/vision/dental insurance, professional development support, and more.
- We believe that work should be fun and we have a Party Planning Committee that ensures that we celebrate one another regularly.
- YOU will have the opportunity to be an important part of our growth and evolution, which will bring joy and pride and job satisfaction!