Details: Salary range: high seventies to high nineties, depending on demonstrated past experience, skills, and seniority.
The Major Gifts Officer plays a critical role on our growing development team. The incumbent will work closely with the VP, Development and the President to design, develop, and implement a major giving program. This is a new position on our team and therefore requires someone who is able to build a program from scratch. You’ll be responsible for identifying, managing, and cultivating relationships with existing Major Gifts prospects, as well as identifying new prospects.
Key to success in this position is a deep understanding of or willingness to learn about evidence-based journalism and the issues on which we work.
The ideal candidate is a scrappy self-starter with a great sense of humor who can function as both a one-person show and as part of a team.
The Major Gifts Officer will be responsible for:
· Helping identify and connect the president and vice president to major donors through personal research and through work with our board of directors and key contacts;
· Assisting our donors in accomplishing their philanthropic goals and ambitions through a relationship with Rewire.News and educating donors about the importance of evidence-based journalism;
· Securing major gifts at the $2,500 to $100,000+ level with the goal of raising $1,500,000 annually;
· Using systems and software to track and cultivate donors and prospects, including our donor database and wealth screening tools;
· Managing and growing a pipeline of donors and prospects;
· Creating and implementing moves management plans;
· Making direct, face-to-face solicitations, and assisting the board and other staff with their solicitation (e.g. provide portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications);
· Acknowledging major donors through public and private recognition;
· Tracking and reporting progress using specific metrics;
· Working with the Rewire.News team to ensure smooth communications on current priorities – collaboration with editors and managers as necessary;
· Other duties and projects as assigned as both the development team and Rewire.News grows.
This job might be for you if you:
· Have demonstrated experience raising in excess of $1 million per year from individuals;
· Have an outgoing personality, high levels of emotional intelligence, and excel at listening and building relationships. You make donors feel valued because you’re sensitive to their needs.
· Have three (3) or more years of fundraising experience and the proven ability to secure major gifts and meet objectives.
· Are comfortable using a donor database, prospect research and other wealth screening tools to aid in your moves management process.
· Have excellent written and verbal communication and can inspire others to action.
· Are organized, detail-oriented, and understand the importance of meeting donor expectations.
· Have or are earnestly willing to develop deep knowledge of and commitment to evidence-based journalism and the issues on which we report;
· Are able to work independently as well as participate on a team;
· Have demonstrated experience as a disciplined self-starter who can set and achieve goals and is comfortable working remotely;
· Are able to take direction and critique;
· Are willing and able, when necessary, to work evenings and weekends and to travel;
· Are able to work quickly and effectively in a fast-paced environment, including multitasking (a critical aspect of this position);
· Creativity, idea sharing, and a strong sense of humor, delivering great work with ease and grace.
Rewire.News offers competitive compensation and a benefits package that includes a 401(k) plan with employer contributions; health and dental insurance; flexible spending accounts; vacation and sick leave; and employer-paid life insurance, AD&D, STD and LTD.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should check the Rewire.News jobs page to ensure that the position is still open prior to applying.
Please follow these instructions carefully. Qualified applicants should send an electronic package of materials to firstname.lastname@example.org; no phone calls or emails to staff please. Please note: We CANNOT accept your application if it is not sent in the following format and does not include the following materials.
● Email subject line: MUST include the title of the position for which you are applying: Gift Officer.
● Body of the email: The body of your email should be your cover letter, including a clear statement as to why you are interested in this position, why you want to work for Rewire.News, why you feel you are qualified, and a summary of your relevant experience. Please do not send the cover letter as an attachment.
● Attachments: Please include a current resume, three writing samples, and three references able to speak to your skills and experience and who are willing to be contacted, including at least one reference that directly supervised your work.
We regret that we may not be able to reply to all applicants and that we cannot consider applicants who do not provide all the above information.