Position: Assistant Accountant
Location: Berkeley, CA
Status: Regular, Full-time, Non-exempt
Salary: DOE, plus excellent benefits
Job posting date: October 22, 2018
Resources for Community Development (RCD) is a leading regional nonprofit developer and owner of affordable housing. RCD’s mission is to create and preserve affordable housing for people with the fewest options, to build community and enrich lives. RCD fosters strong, inclusive neighborhoods through strategies that address the health, economic development, education, and housing needs of residents across the community.
Since RCD was established in 1984, our company has developed or preserved over 65 communities that provide affordable, high-quality, and service-enriched affordable rental housing to over 2,300 low-income households throughout the Bay Area. Through a robust pipeline, RCD is actively growing, with over 600 units currently under construction or in development. RCD strives for excellence, and we are seeking an outstanding candidate to join our team.
Major Job Responsibilities and Duties:
The Assistant Accountant (AA), under the direction and supervision of RCD’s Controller, has responsibility for all bookkeeping, administrative and accounting support to RCD’s accounting department. The roles and responsibilities of the AA are integral to the core operations of RCD’s business, and the fulfillment of RCD’s mission. The candidate will join a growing team and company with a strong track record, industry position, and trajectory.
Bookkeeping – Corporate Operations (50%)
- Accounts Payable (A/P) & Accounts Receivable (A/R)
i. Process and mail checks, maintain check registers
ii. Process deposits
- Maintain cash position, restricted cash and working capital worksheets
- Process bank reconciliations
- Prepare tax filings, such as 1099’s and DE 542 reports
- Track credit card documentation and reconcile monthly statements
- Track budgets and actual expenses for grand opening events
Bookkeeping – Real Estate Development (20%)
- Enter data and assist with the assembling of funding draws related to real estate development
- Process payables and receivables
- Reconcile funder activity on restricted cash worksheets
Administrative Support to Accounting Department (15%)
· Filing – ongoing and annual
· Process business licenses
· Coordinate signatures, routing and distribution of tax returns and insurance checks
- Assist with preparation of RCD quarterly financials
- Prepare supporting schedules for audits
- Initial review on audits as needed
Ideal applicants will have 3 to 5 years of experience in an accounting position, preferably in real estate. Non-profit experience is desirable. Applicant should have strong abilities in the following areas:
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to juggle and prioritize multiple tasks in fast-paced, demanding environment
- Detail-oriented with strong follow-up abilities
- Clear and effective verbal and written communications
- Strong Excel and accounting software skills; knowledge of Sage a plus
Education: Associate degree. Desirable additional qualifications: knowledge of real estate operations and development.
Work Environment: Majority of time spent in a sedentary office environment.
Travel Requirements: The responsibilities of this position will require travel to off-site locations.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing. Must be able to lift twenty (20) pounds. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application Procedure and Salary: Applicants should send a cover letter, resume AND salary requirements via e-mail to email@example.com. Please reference “Assistant Accountant” in the subject line. Applicants with suitable experience and/or skills will be contacted for interviews. Compensation is negotiable depending on experience and qualifications. RCD offers competitive benefits including: paid vacation and sick leave; health, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance; pre-tax flexible spending and commuter check plans; and employer contributions to a retirement savings plan. No calls please.
RESOURCES FOR COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER