Details: Competitive Nonprofit Salary
Do you believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid? Would you like to work where you are encouraged to promote fun, creativity and play? If you are motivated and you possess leadership experience- both on and off the playground – we want you to join our team and put your passion for play to work for us.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to transform children’s physical and emotional health. Playworks currently serves more than 1,300 schools in 23 U.S. cities, and reaches 700,000 students directly and through professional training services.
At Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. We partner with schools, districts, and after-school programs to provide a service or mix of services including on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support recess, and consultative partnerships.
Here’s where you come in:
In the role of Site Coordinator, you provide on-site consultation by teaming up with elementary school staff who support recess. You work directly with a designated school recess team to model and teach the strategies, games, and systems to develop and sustain a positive recess culture. In partnership with the school, Site Coordinators create opportunities where students and school staff are active, learn leadership skills and conflict resolutions tools, and practice respectful and inclusive behavior.
Specifically you will have Program Implementation, Coaching, and School Partnership duties as follows-
Program implementation duties
- Plan and implement a consultative play-based program at four public elementary schools.
- Deliver onsite coaching, consultation, and modeling to School Personnel regarding implementation of the following components:
- Recess - with School Personnel create and coach recess staff to develop a safe and inclusive playground yard and be a significant presence on the yard by organizing and playing large games with 20+ students as well as role modeling positive behavior.
- Student leadership program – with School Personnel organize a “Junior Coach” student leadership program by facilitating trainings as well as coaching recess staff to supervise and manage Junior Coaches during recess.
- Instructional classes - lead instructional classes with elementary grade levels students and their teacher in skills building, cooperative games, and activities to increase awareness of rules, boundaries, skills utilized and cultural expectations at recess.
- Maintain communication between Playworks staff, school staff, teachers, and volunteers
- Collect and maintain paperwork including organizing daily, weekly, monthly schedules, meeting agendas, notes and data.
- Plan and implement the learning units and recess staff trainings for program components.
- Support regional team and national program department with development of programmatic learning and management resources.
- Model Playworks core values, program implementation, group management, and rapport building strategies for School Personnel.
- Provide School Personnel with action plans, goals setting, and feedback regarding program implementation.
- Lead monthly meetings with School Personnel to discuss best practices for program implementation and program quality goals.
- Provide Playworks Program Manager with observation notes and program strategy for program quality consultation priorities to school.
- Facilitate trainings with Program Manager for school staff.
School Partnership duties
- Consistently represent Playworks’ brand in a professional manner.
- Design program schedule with input and support from school administration.
- Communicate with school administration regarding program implementation logistics and management support needs.
- Facilitate school’s transition to other Playworks trainings, programs, and products in preparation for future school year.
If you're a good fit for this position, you already know most of what this job entails. However, to be sure we're providing a complete picture, here are some details:
- Success in this position will require you to be highly organized, great at multitasking, with a strong attention to detail and ability to manage time and multiple priorities
- The strongest candidate will be a motivated self-starter with ability to set clear goals and follow through with flexible and creative problem solving.
Required Skills & Experience
- Extensive knowledge of youth development principles and practices, especially relating to social and emotional learning, play and inclusion.
- At least 2 years of experience working directly with small and large groups of children.
- Experience working collaboratively with adults and facilitating trainings for adults.
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills with the ability to facilitate small and large group presentations.
- Experience establishing and maintaining professional relationships with external clients and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience interacting with diverse communities and ability to integrate into school community.
- Knowledge of computer and internet based programs especially Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and GoogleDrive.
- This position may require travel to various regional locations. School sites may be widely dispersed in city/region therefore daily access to reliable transportation is required.
- Requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally.
- Competitive nonprofit salary. This is a full-time, exempt position.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) with employer match, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts.
- Generous paid time off with paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role.
- References will be requested.
Service Environment: This position operates in both a school and office environment both indoors and outdoors. The position interacts with children on playgrounds and in classrooms on a daily basis.
Typical physical and mental demands:
This position requires sufficient physical ability and mobility to stand for extended periods at times; walk on a school site in various weather conditions; to climb stairs at some sites; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach and twist and, dependent on assignment the employee may occasionally lift, push, pull and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities. Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.
Minimum Education Required