Consultancy: Digital Writer/Editor, 11.5 months, New York (DOC)
3 United Nations Plaza
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfil their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, hope
The Digital Strategy Section (DSS) within the Division of Communication comprises Web, Social Media and Multimedia teams working together to create compelling public-facing content and to provide digital services within the organization. The Section is also responsible for the build, management and maintenance of global website properties, including country and regional office support for digital transformation, governance and capacity building. Through multiple platforms and in multiple languages, DSS draws attention to the many facets of UNICEF’s work, encouraging public support, participation and action, as well as ensuring greater transparency and accountability.
How can you make a difference?
DSS seeks to hire a highly qualified Digital Writer/Editor to engage existing audiences and reach new ones through its global website. Tasks include writing and editing, working closely with other content creators and subject experts, and coordinating all aspects of website production. The position will focus on writing, editing, and maintaining major sections of UNICEF.org on the new website platform.
Scope of work:
- As part of the Web Editorial team, write, edit and produce engaging and jargon-free content for UNICEF.org
- Act as a focal point for major sections of the website. Liaise with experts and focal points in other departments from capturing initial requirements; through a drafting and review process; to publishing on UNICEF.org; monitoring performance and making any needed improvements
- Conceptualize and develop new web pages and sections in line with digital best practices, including on page SEO, and with a focus on the user journey and experience
- Ensure web content is aligned with UNICEF’s 'voice', messaging and strategic direction, paying attention to sensitive issues and maintaining UNICEF style and factual accuracy
- Ensure accuracy, timeliness and clarity of data
- Responsible for uploading content and managing updates directly in website content management system
- Contribute to a web content calendar, monitoring and planning content
- Contribute to the development and achievement of content goals for UNICEF.org
- Contribute to the normative work of the team, including providing guidance and reporting
- Work primarily in Drupal content management system (CMS) and other programs as required
- Log and raise technical issues with CMS and related production technology with the Platforms team
- May be asked to work weekends and holidays, as required
- May be required to travel
- Perform other tasks and support content production for other channels, as required.
As an advocate for every child, you will have…
- University degree in communication, journalism, international relations or other fields related to the work of UNICEF
- Five years’ work experience in a communication, external relations, public affairs role, within a UN agency or similar organization, government or NGO
- Superb writing and editing skills, including a strong understanding of online storytelling and news, as well as a solid fact-checking and copy-editing background
- Ability to transform dense technical and programmatic information into engaging content that is accessible to the general public and a wide array of partners and stakeholders
- Ability to effectively coordinate all aspects of content development and production across teams
- Detail-oriented, creative, able to work efficiently under tight deadlines
- Experience with web content management systems
- Knowledge of international development issues
- Fluency in English is required.
The Digital Writer/Editor is preferred, but not required, to have:
- A second United Nations language is highly desirable
- United Nations experience is highly desirable
- Experience with Drupal content management system is highly desirable
- Experience using Google Analytics and SEO tools is a plus
- Proficiency in HTML and Adobe Photoshop is a plus
- Web and graphic design experience, including data visualization, is a plus
Duration: 11.5 months
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Minimum Education Required