219 1st Ave S
The Volunteer and Community Resource Coordinator is a full-time, non-exempt position at Real Change reporting to the Development Director. This position is responsible for recruiting, supervising and supporting volunteers, coordinating events, and working with community partners to elevate the visibility and impact of Real Change’s mission. Volunteers are invaluable throughout Real Change, performing critical roles in our newsroom, advocacy work, vendor program, fundraising and operations. In 2017 Real Change supported 190 volunteers that contributed more than 8300 hours.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
Volunteer Management (70%)
Recruitment and Placement
- Recruit and engage a diverse field of volunteers from all areas including Real Change Vendors, Corporate Partners, Community Groups, schools, and the Faith Community
- Create detailed volunteer roles that meet the expressed needs of department leads
- Onboard new volunteers via screening, orientation, training and placement in skill-appropriate roles
- Maintain relationships with area schools, churches, community groups, corporate volunteer programs and volunteer placement programs
Retention, Stewardship and Evaluation
- Maintain timely communication with all active volunteers and staff
- Cross-train appropriate staff on working with and supporting volunteers
- Provide follow-up support and limited supervision to volunteers and interns
- Produce and implement a volunteer recognition plan
- Train volunteers and staff in the use of our online volunteer management program and other volunteer tools
- Gather feedback from current and outgoing volunteers regularly through surveys and exit interviews
- Produce reports on volunteer data, telling a story about trends in volunteer demographics and organizational needs
- Implement, maintain and update volunteer policies including written manuals and procedures to effectively and efficiently manage programs across organization; maintain current application and background materials for all volunteers
Event Coordination (20%)
- Co-coordinate Departmental events (advocacy campaigns, fundraisers, appreciation events and socials)
- Organize and train volunteers for event-specific roles
- Plan special events that recognize volunteers and encourage relationship-building between the community, volunteers, staff, board, and vendors
Interdepartmental Activities (10%)
- Represent the organization at community-based events sponsored or supported by Real Change to promote its aims and objectives, and foster and enhance public understanding of the organization
- Coordinate and collaborate with department leads to support program goals through community outreach, education and volunteerism
- Back up newspaper sales desk as needed
- Ensure volunteers have an understanding of and commitment to Real Change’s work on race and class equity
- Perform all duties and responsibilities in a timely and effective manner in accordance with established organizational policies to achieve the overall objectives of this position
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to build and maintain strong community partnerships and individual volunteer relationships through positive communication and excellent follow-through
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate expectations and provide clear trainings
- Strong problem-solving, time and project management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and experience with Customer Relationship Management tools such as Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge, or Volgistics
- Experience working on behalf of race and class equity and issues arising from homelessness, mental illness, and substance abuse
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work in a hectic, busy, sometimes loud workspace
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends, as required
- Preferred but not required: Valid WA driver’s license, proof of insurance, and a driving record that meets Real Change’s standard.
Excellent benefit package, including three weeks paid vacation, medical, dental and vision coverage, and a $600 annual professional development budget.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, Volunteer Coordinator. No calls please.
Real Change is an equal-opportunity employer. We actively recruit persons of diverse backgrounds and support the retention and advancement of diverse persons within the organization. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer corps with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates a vibrant environment where individuals can learn, grow and thrive.
Real Change is committed to providing an inclusive workplace that includes people of diverse backgrounds and fully utilizes their talents to achieve its mission. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit fact, so that all employees feel included, equally valued and supported.