In partnership with the New York City Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice, the Criminal Justice Agency is New York City’s main pretrial services agency, combining operations, demonstration projects, and research under one roof.
CJA’s core work is interviewing all arrested defendants who come before the New York City courts to assist in reducing jail overcrowding, unnecessary detention and expediting the bail process. CJA's work impacts over 200,000 persons arrested annually in New York City.
The organization’s Human Resources Department oversees all HR functions for the Agency’s nearly 230+ staff members city-wide, including recruitment, on-boarding, orientation, employee relations, benefits and compensation, professional development, workplace health and safety and compliance. Approximately 50% of the organization’s workforce is unionized line staff providing 24-hour coverage for our operations. It is the department's mission to help employees understand their rights and obligations and to support staff, managers and organizational leaders in navigating all the complexities of work life.
Under the direct supervision of the Associate Director of Human Resources and Administration, the HR Assistant will support the varied administrative and human resources needs of the Agency’s 230+ employees; including:
- Organization of electronic and hard copy documents and personnel files
- Dissemination of employment-related communications to staff
- Responding to inquiries for information from staff, partners, vendors or stakeholders, or appropriately directing calls
- Assisting with the management of data for a web-based Human Resources and Benefits Administration system
- Supporting the organization's recruitment efforts and management of the applicant tracking system
- Assisting the HR Manager in collecting data and running reports
- Scheduling and communication of staff meetings and events
- Coordination, distribution, and update of compliance posters and notices
- Supporting the recruitment and scheduling of interns
- Handling occasional heavy filing, data entry or phone work
- Other administrative and clerical duties, as instructed
A Bachelor's Degree and 1 -2 years of experience in an administrative support role. Preference will be given to those with experience in human resources, payroll, office management or legal environment. The successful candidate has:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (confident, approachable and articulate) with a professional demeanor
- Experience appropriately handling matters and documents of a confidential or sensitive nature with professionalism
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to prioritize and organize tasks
- Applies critical thinking, common sense and creativity to solve problems
- Proficiency in MSWord, including the ability to create tables, publications and mail merge documents
- Intermediate Excel skills for data management and reporting
- Some experience with applicant tracking systems or client management systems
- A keen eye for details with the ability to quickly identify discrepancies and proof documents for accuracy
- An ability to balance multiple priorities and carry-out directives with minimal supervision
We are looking for a compassionate self-starter to complete our HR team and contribute to the work of supporting the employment life of our staff. We seek a confident person, able to comfortably speak in public and engage staff at all levels, and diverse backgrounds. The ideal candidate is someone looking to start a career in Human Resources, who approaches their work with care and integrity and understands the value of collaborative working.
SALARY: Starting Salary $40,000, annually depending on experience, plus benefits (medical, dental, 4 week’s vacation, paid sick leave, retirement plan, premium transitchek)
DEADLINE: July 20, 2018
The NYC Criminal Justice Agency is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you are interested in applying for the HR Assistant position, please click on the link below to submit your resume and cover letter: