Middle School Special Education Teacher - Immediate Hire
- Job posted by Launch Expeditionary Learning Charter School
Launch Expeditionary Learning Charter School is part of a network of 11 Expeditionary Learning (EL) schools in New York City and is the NYC network’s first charter school. EL is a proven educational model being implemented in over 150 district, charter and independent schools across the country. Launch's mission is to prepare students in under-resourced communities to thrive in college and careers by providing a public educational experience rooted in active learning and powerful character development. We believe that students at all levels can be pushed and supported to do more than they think they can.
Launch is seeking middle school ELA teachers with a track record of success to join a highly motivated, curious, intelligent, and passionate staff of educators.
The ideal candidate will model our Launch Operating Values:
Everything with Integrity – Always works to do what is best and right for our community. Inspire confidence in others through consistent honesty and care.
Thoughtful and Intentional – All decisions are driven by what is best for kids and improving achievement. Reflect with a focus on continuous improvement and growth.
Clear Communication – Communicate directly and openly with all constituents.
Leading with Urgency – Do whatever it takes to make things happen. Act proactively.
Relentless Optimism – Demonstrate an unyielding belief that we can accomplish our goals. Is solution-oriented both in spoken and written communication.
Professionalism – Meet professional deadlines with high-quality work that pays attention to detail. Follows through on all Launch procedures and policies.
At Launch you will:
(Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following.)
- Co-teach in an ICT class or a multi-subject classroom
- Implement research-based curriculum following a pacing guide.
- Teach one period a day of Reading Zone, an independent reading period.
- Collaborate with a co-teacher to plan, teach and reflect on high impact daily lesson
- Lead classroom differentiation through curricular modifications, accommodations, and instructional techniques that ensure students achieve mastery of learning targets.
- Regularly and accurately report student progress and maintain accurate and up to date records related to student achievement, performance, and IEP goals.
- Communicate frequently and maintain strong relationships with students, students’ families, colleagues and other school personnel.
- Serve as an integral part of the IEP Process by assessing and developing goals for an assigned group of students.
- Attend IEP meetings, parent conferences, and team meetings.
- Use two prep periods a day for planning, collaboration, coaching, and department team meetings to support outstanding instruction and professional growth
- Assume a high level of personal responsibility for the reading and writing progress of all students by tracking and monitoring progress and growth on a daily, weekly and quarterly basis
- Demonstrate authentic interest and enthusiasm for your content to engage students in the learning
- Create a rigorous and engaging learning environment for Launch students.
- Establish and maintain consistent classroom expectations and routines in a student-centered classroom through use of our anchor techniques.
- Use the school-wide data system to collect and analyze student data and modify instruction accordingly, and use formative assessments to drive daily instruction.
- Develop character by modeling, teaching and holding students accountable to demonstrate our Habits of Heart and Mind: Compassion, Wonder, Perseverance, Craftsmanship, Mindfulness and Accountability.
- Lead a daily small advisory group (called Crew) by modifying and implementing existing curriculum
- Prepare students to lead Student-Led Conferences and Presentations of Learning
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong understanding of common core middle school content and the desire to develop exceptional pedagogical content knowledge in the content area you apply for
- Unwavering commitment to Launch’s mission and to the Expeditionary Learning model
- Exceptional ability to demonstrate our operating values in every aspect of their work
- Exceptional ability to develop and maintain productive and collaborative relationships
- Middle school experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred)
- Teaching experience in an urban setting preferred
- Valid New York State Special Education Certification required to apply
Compensation: Highly competitive and commensurate with experience, along with a full benefits package.
Launch is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group for reasons of race, color, creed, sex, age, culture, national origin, marital status, sexual preference or mental or physical disability.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Visit our website: