Details: Commensurate with experience.
660 Pennsylvania Ave SE
CommonLit is a nonprofit edtech startup dedicated to closing the literacy gap for middle and high school students. We develop open educational resources, flexible curriculum materials, and integrated technology tools. Because our mission is to promote high-quality reading and writing instruction to underserved students, all of our products are completely free for students and teachers.
We are looking for a skilled data scientist to join our team. You should be excited about the idea of working for a fast-paced start-up, and you should be personally driven by our mission to close the achievement gap. You should also be a perpetual student and lifelong learner; we’re growing quickly, and so is our technology. Tens of thousands of new users join CommonLit every day. We have lots of data, and the opportunities for data science projects are almost unparalleled.
- Create and maintain live business dashboards for internal use, business development, product development, and project evaluation. Using open-source and third-party tools such as Periscope, Tableau, etc.
- Craft and update SQL as underlying data structures change and evolve.
- Cleanse and refine public and partner data, prior to import into CommonLit’s platforms.
- Collaborate with product, sales, and engineering teams to solve problems and identify trends and opportunities.
- Conduct ad-hoc data analysis for other teams, e.g. new features’ ROI analysis by the Product team. Your analyses will decide which policies we adopt, where we expand our business, and whom our partners will be. Empower other CommonLit team members to undertake similar projects.
- Support auditors and psychometricians with clean data extracts.
- Build auxiliary datasets (e.g. zip code, time zones, public and private schools, etc) to empower operational and exploratory analysis.
- Strengthen and propagate a data-driven culture; be the ambassador of data science tools, techniques, and best practices to other CommonLit teams.
- BA/BS or relevant industry experience in computer science, math, physics, engineering, statistics or other technical field. Advanced degrees preferred.
- At least 2 years of experience in quantitative analysis. Firm understanding of statistical analysis, RDBMS, and experimental design.
- At least 1 year of experience using SQL. We use PostgreSQL and Redshift.
- Borderline-too-much initiative. Ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal oversight.
- The ability to communicate the results of analyses in a clear and effective manner, using excellent written and oral communication skills in addition to data visualization tools and techniques.
- Bonus points for experience with: Data presentation using D3.js. Statistical analysis with R. Multiple types of databases. Working in an Internet-based company. AWS EC2/S3/EMR/RDS. Ruby-on-Rails. Knowledge of HTML/CSS/JS and network architecture.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with Data Scientist in the subject line.