Details: VHCF offers a competitive salary commensurate with an applicant’s qualifications and experience.
707 E. Main Street
As a member of the Virginia Health Care Foundation’s (VHCF) senior management team, the Controller is responsible for administering all of the Foundation’s financial functions including: day-to-day accounting operations, financial management and reporting, planning and budgeting, recordkeeping and reporting, interactions with VHCF’s investment advisors, preparation of annual benchmarks and performance measures, benefit management, and assisting with special projects.
The Controller reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for keeping the Executive Director informed of the organization’s financial position in a timely manner. The position ensures that all financial recordkeeping is accurate and conducted according to generally accepted accounting practices. The Controller is responsible for developing VHCF’s annual budget. S/he is responsible for ensuring that appropriate internal controls are in place, and that day-to-day financial transactions are handled properly. S/he functions as the staff representative to the Board Finance and Investment Committee.
In fulfilling this role, the Controller is responsible for handling the following:
Financial Management and Reporting
Administers all aspects of financial management. This includes cash receipts, cash disbursements, bank reconciliations, payroll and preparation of monthly reports. The Controller is also responsible for overseeing the annual audit and coordinating preparation of VHCF’s 990 IRS form. In addition, the Controller prepares the Foundation’s annual Benchmark & Performance Measure Reports.
Planning and Budgeting
Ensures that the Executive Director and Board of Directors have access to accurate and timely income and expense data and projections for the organization overall, and for program and initiative-specific budgets. S/he also works with the Fund Development staff to develop budgets for grant applications and on reporting and tracking donor receipts.
Investment Management and Analysis
Coordinates with VHCF’s investment advisors and bank personnel to ensure compliance with the Foundation’s investment policies and to monitor performance. The Controller ensures that investment advisors prepare timely investment reports for Committee and Board review. S/he also periodically reviews investment policies and works with investment advisors and the Finance Committee to update and revise, as necessary.
Responsible for benefit administration which includes the cafeteria plan, 403(b) retirement plan, and disability, health, dental and life insurance plans.
Coordination with Members of the Senior Management Team
Functions as a member of the Senior Management Team (Executive Director, Deputy Director of Programs & Operations, Controller, Director of Strategic Initiatives & Policy, and the Director of Administration & Technology) to fulfill the Foundation’s mission, carry out its strategic plan, and develop access-related initiatives that align with new payment and delivery developments in health care. The Management Team also ensures smooth, timely and efficient operations within VHCF and fosters a cooperative and professional work environment.
Characteristics of a Successful Candidate
The Controller position requires an energetic, organized, proactive individual who is intelligent, learns quickly and is capable of working effectively with VHCF’s staff, vendors and Trustees in a fast-paced environment with multiple, shifting priorities.
- BS in Accounting, Master of Accountancy or CPA and five or more years experience working with tax exempt organizations preferred.
- Proven success in non-profit finance and managing multiple public and private funding streams of a multi-faceted organization.
- Expertise using accounting software (preferably Sage and QuickBooks).
- Ability to work as a team member in a collegial workplace where well-thought-out opinions and give and take are expected and encouraged.
- Ability to plan ahead, manage deadlines, and maintain/establish systems so the organization continues to operate smoothly and effectively.
- Strong analytic and communication skills, ability to write clearly and succinctly and make well-organized verbal presentations.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- High degree of self-confidence, diplomacy, good judgment, political savvy, collegial personality, and high professional standards.
- A sense of humor and a constructive outlook.
- Experience with MicroEdge GIFTS.
VHCF offers a complete benefits package.
Minimum Education Required