Senior National Advisor, Social Emotional Health (Remote)
- Job posted by Alliance for a Healthier Generation
For more than a decade, the Alliance for a Healthier Generation has worked to empower kids to develop lifelong, healthy habits, by ensuring the environments that surround them provide and promote good health. The Alliance, founded by the American Heart Association and Clinton Foundation, operates as an independent 501c3 non-profit organization guided by its own Board of Directors. As one of the nation’s largest children’s health organizations focusing on combating childhood obesity, the Alliance utilizes the best available scientific evidence of programs, policies and practices that positively impact healthy eating and physical activity behaviors among youth. The Alliance’s current work directly impacts more than 25 million children, with a focus on low-income and minority populations who are at increased risk for poor health, obesity and other diseases. To learn more and join the movement, visit www.HealthierGeneration.org.
It is the goal of the Alliance to fill employment vacancies with the most qualified applicants, whether recruiting internally or externally. Strong consideration will be given to qualified internal candidates. All internal and external candidates must comply with application requirements.
The Senior National Advisor Social Emotional Health (SEH) serves as the content lead and manages the team of regional coaches to support school-based efforts to develop trauma responsive environments and to promote resilience in students and staff..
Responsibilities include leading the support of schools and districts as they work towards creating and implementing evidence-based and evidence-informed practices to develop trauma responsive environments and to increase the resilience of students and school staff. This position is responsible for leading the development of a Framework of Best Practice and developing professional development and technical assistance (inclusive of in person and virtual) and associated tools and resources to ensure the wide application of trauma responsive environments and resilience best practices in schools. They will lead the roll out, utilization and tracking of professional development and the technical assistance for Healthier Generation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Serve as internal and external advisor, thought leader, and spokesperson on social emotional health and trauma responsive schools.
· Collaborate and consult with Healthier Generation teams and program staff to ensure ongoing successful implementation and sustainability of a Framework of Best Practices, specific to evidence-based practices to develop trauma responsive environments and to increase the resilience of students and school staff.
· Build a comprehensive resilience Index that includes student and staff components based on existing assessment tools, in collaboration with Healthier Generation staff and experts from the resilience field.
· Supervise a team of regional coaches ensuring that the individuals in those positions are achieving all desired outcomes and grant deliverables, such as providing professional development and technical assistance opportunities and leveraging and developing tools and resources to ensure the application of resilience best practices.
· Build and maintain relationships with key national research organizations and thought leaders that have the potential to positively impact the social emotional environment and resilience in schools
· Assist in the identification, analysis, and development of resources and materials to promote and facilitate implementation of evidence-based practices to develop trauma responsive environments and to increase the resilience of students and school staff.
· Lead the development and delivery of in-person and virtual professional development by building on existing resources that foster broad reach and impact among participating schools and districts in the areas evidence-based practices
· Develop strategies to expand, manage and deliver in person technical assistance such as implementing trauma informed practices in the classroom, practicing non-punitive discipline, improving communication across student and staff that is customized for high need schools and districts in urban, suburban and rural areas.
· Stay abreast of current trends and informed on policy activities at the national and state level on social emotional health and trauma responsive schools and translate this information into communications, professional development, and technical assistance resources to be used to advance Healthier Generation efforts.
· Consult with the Marketing and Communications Team to develop messaging and talking points, thought leader communications, and to identify and share successes at the school level.
· Report progress and results through formal and informal reporting procedures.
· Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Broad knowledge of the research and science in the evidence of and best practices in trauma responsive school environments and building resiliency in students and staff.
· Ability to manage unique challenges and opportunities facing schools in implementing trauma informed strategies.
· Familiarity with current trends impacting the social emotional health landscape
· Demonstrated experience in creating and leading professional development (inclusive of in person and virtual) for groups of various sizes.
· Ability to digest technical information and translate research into practical steps for application at the district, school, and classroom level
· Ability to clearly and effectively convey information verbally and in writing to a variety of audiences.
· Skillfully uses best in class resources and employs technology to assist in work activities.
· Outstanding interpersonal skills
· Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a virtual team environment
· Ability to proactively manage and prioritize complex and competing work tasks and projects
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Product Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
· Demonstrated leadership skills including supervision, delegation, planning and assessment, and ability to train staff.
· Ability to travel domestically up to 25% of the time
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Master’s degree in education, social work, psychology or related field required. PhD degree in related field preferred.
· 10 years or more experience working in a school environment and in community health, including program, policy and systems work, impacting and related to social emotional health in schools.
· Extensive experience directing complex projects or programs, while meeting regular deliverables and engaging in continuous improvement
· Experience supervising, mentoring and coaching large teams
· Experience leading professional development and supporting the implementation of trauma informed strategies in schools
This job description is subject to change at any time.
The Alliance for a Healthier Generation is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- 100% Remote Work
- Flexible Work Schedule
- Paid Time Off
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance
- Health and Dependent Care
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programs
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Mentor Program
- Professional Development
- Wellness, Cell Phone and Home Office Stipends
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter on our website.