The Communications and Development Manager is central to the success of C4D’s messaging and fund development. In conjunction with the Executive Director, this position will assist in creating the annual development and communications plans and manage its implementation. The ideal candidate is deeply committed to immigrant youth-led organizing; movement-building; positive and innovative organizational culture, and team-building. They will be C4D’s chief communicator both internally and to the outside world. Position requires strong writing skills, an ability to uplift youth voice and youth organizing via grants, newsletters, press releases, etc., and most importantly, a strong sense of strategic thinking. This position requires a high level of discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality. This staff reports to the Executive Director and is based in Bridgeport, CT.
- Oversee the development of consistent messaging across the organization that promotes mission, vision and fundraising needs
- Work with staff and field leaders to provide messaging training and prep leaders to speak to media using crafted talking points
- Develop and Implement all Communication strategies, including digital and social media content, press releases, emails, and other communication materials for external and internal audiences
- Craft compelling and accurate press releases, media alerts, pitch letters, fact sheets, presentations, and other communications materials for external and internal audiences
- Work with staff on developing and implementing monthly C4D newsletters
- Identify opportunities to gain media exposure for C4D’s programs and activities
- Manage communications schedules and timelines
- Monitor, distribute, and archive press placements; conduct quarterly reporting
- Own the creation and delivery of social media content and digital strategy, maintaining appropriate voice and tone
- Create training opportunities for leaders to develop communications skills and be able to coach leaders in their leadership development
- Timely submission of well researched and well written grant applications, including writing, editing, proofing and preparing supporting documentation
- Drafts compelling letters of inquiry, grant and sponsorship proposals, and responses to requests for proposals
- Manages grant processes to successfully meet deadlines, submit relevant information, and ensure compliance with funding requirements
- Maintaining detailed records and files
- Maintain an accurate grants calendar, tracking grant deliverables and timelines
- Work closely with the staff to develop funding proposals that align with programmatic needs and funding priorities
- Manage prospect research to support C4D’s wide array of funding needs and develop creative funder outreach strategies. Provide guidance on best ways to market and approach donors and funders
- Assist in institutional funder cultivation and stewardship, including the scheduling of meetings, preparation of compelling correspondence (briefings, presentations, etc.), and active participation in donor appreciation activities, site visits, and events
- Ensures good organizational relationships with all funders
- Oversees and prepares for fundraising events as necessary
- Develop understanding of institutional history and programs
- Mission-committed: We encourage input from our diverse staff and members when making strategic decisions. Once a decision is made, you are willing to stand behind it even if it’s different from what you would have suggested.
- 100% follow-through: No dropped balls policy! Stay on top of all specific tasks/follow-up items and general areas of work; consistently meet deadlines.
- Positive attitude and flexibility: Approach work with a spirit of “yes”; strike a positive tone; push work forward through obstacles and adapt quickly as things change (which they inevitably will!).
- Internal Accountability: As an integral member of the team, respond to staff member requests in an efficient manner to assure and support their effectiveness.
- Solutions-oriented: Strong ability to proactively develop effective solutions to challenges and collaboratively work with staff to ensure those solutions are implemented.
- Responsiveness: You stay on top of communicating with members and partners, prioritizing inquiries and responding in a timely manner.
- Attention to detail: Ensure all external communication is polished – meaning accurate (right content, no misspellings, grammatical errors, etc.) and precise (reflects nuances, captures subtleties, etc.) and “fits” the situation (should have our “look and feel” generally but can be casual when situation calls for it).
- Organizer mentality: Commitment to building capacity through strategic organizing (shift from service-orientated and mobilizing-oriented mentality)
- Practice discretion and good judgment: Our movement is made up of young people with varying viewpoints, some of which are in conflict with one another. You seek out opportunities to work with unlikely allies, and have good judgment about what conversations are best kept private.
- Values leadership development: As a youth-led organization, provides training and coaching opportunities for field leaders as well as being intentional about own personal development.
- Experience working with donor records and databases;
- Experience with Action Network and MailChimp;
- Fluency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Multilingual will be an added asset for any candidate, but these skills/experience are not required.
- Strong commitment to social justice, immigrant rights, and equitable access to education
- Experience working with young people of color preferred
- Sense of humor!
UWD/C4D is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD/C4D does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, age or disability.
full benefits: health, dental, vision, 403B
Level of Language Proficiency
Multilingual will be an added asset for any candidate, but these skills/experience are not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
TO APPLY: We will begin considering applications Monday, April 9th. send a cover letter, including where you heard about the position, resume, and short writing sample (no more than 1 or 2 pages) to Jobs@CT4aDream.org, Subject line: C4D – Communications and Development Manager. Please do not send duplicate materials. Please include contact information of 2 references (Professional and/or personal references).
Interested in working with C4D but don’t quite fit the box we’ve described? We are committed to the development of undocumented youth, womxn of color, black immigrants, and individuals from diverse backgrounds. Contact us and we can work with you on your development.