446 West 33rd Street
The HIV Testing Counselor/Phlebotomist provides integrated HIV/STI testing and counseling services for Geffen Center clients. S/he will assist in the coordination and implementation of counseling, testing, and referrals for participants in the off-site and on-site settings. Assist in conducting outreach to the target populations including conducting presentations and providing counseling testing and referral services and managing administrative responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The following duties are mandatory requirements of the job:
- Assist in implementation of HIV prevention-related interventions and events for priority populations.
- Provide HIV counseling and testing pursuant to Article 27-F of the NYS Public Health Law for members of the target population.
- Provide pre- and post-test STI counseling to clients, including but not limited to syphilis, Hepatitis C, gonorrhea, and chlamydia.
- Assist clients in assessing risk and developing a personal risk reduction plan through interactive methods.
- Obtain Informed Consent from all clients requesting confidential HIV ALERE Rapid testing, as well as syphilis, Hepatitis C, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia and Syphilis testing.
- Obtain blood samples and administer all related venipuncture procedures, including finger sticks, handling of blood products, packing and shipping of specimens and proper precautionary procedures for disposal of medical waste.
- Provide post-test counseling to those clients who have received HIV testing and assist clients, regardless of test result, in understanding the meaning of the test results.
- Provide referrals for appropriate medical, preventive and psycho-social support services, both internal and external.
The following duties are to be performed as assigned by the supervisor:
- Schedule clients for follow-up counseling session, provide confirmatory test results and STI test results, support and referrals as appropriate.
- Connect clients who test HIV-positive to primary medical care and follow-up to confirm that client has attended first primary care medical appointment.
- Connect clients who test positive for STIs to primary medical care and follow-up to confirm that client has attended first primary care medical appointment.
- Connect clients to GMHC services as appropriate and follow-up to confirm attendance at first referral session.
- Maintain complete records of pre/post testing, blood sampling protocols, referrals and connections to services.
- Attend and participate in any/all training pertinent to Testing Center-specific model of counseling and ongoing maintenance of skills
- Provide counseling services to members of the target population
- Participate and assist in the implementation of special event testing such as testing at AIDS Walk New York, United Nations Testing Days, Pride in the City and YouthPride events.
- Assist in establishing and maintaining collaborative partnerships with community service providers, community leaders.
- Assist with special projects and performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION
- Bachelor’s Degree Preferred or equivalent experience in HIV Testing
- Certificate of completion from NYS Department of Health or State AIDS Institute
- Training for Pre- and Post-test HIV Counseling
- New York State Phlebotomist certification
SPECIAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledge of record keeping procedures, including completion of appropriate venipuncture authorization forms and medical records.
- Thorough knowledge of the NYS DOH Names Reporting and Partner Notification law.
- Knowledge of STD transmission and prevention.
- Knowledge of psychosocial issues faced by clients with the decision to test or not to test for the HIV virus, and those post-testing issues confronting clients who exhibit positive or negative results.
- Bilingual English/Spanish required.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required