Details: Commensurate with experience
UNITE HERE is seeking a Senior Occupational Health Specialist to provide occupational safety and health expertise to support UNITE HERE organizing campaigns, training programs, research and policy activities, and respond to requests for technical assistance from union locals. Assist in development of training program to develop health and safety capacity of campaigners, union staff, members and unorganized workers to improve working conditions and win a voice on the job. Collaborate with union staff at local and international union (IU) levels and with external organizations, government agencies, academia and others as appropriate. Works closely with and reports to Workplace Safety and Health Coordinator.
UNITE HERE is leading the fight to organize hundreds of thousands of low-wage workers -- many of them African-Americans, Latino and Asian immigrants, and women -- in hotels, casinos, cafeterias, and airport concessions throughout North America. Our union is at the forefront of battles for workers' rights, immigration reform, living wages, and quality jobs in many cities throughout North America. (www.unitehere.org)
Job Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Plan and implement training programs with UNITE HERE affiliates, worker advocacy organizations, national COSH groups, university training centers, etc.. Conduct training directly in English/Spanish, or oversee the provision of training by other UNITE HERE staff.
- Support campaigns and requests from affiliates: review scientific literature including risk assessments, toxicology reports, and epidemiological analyses related to technical workplace issues such as: chemical hazards, lockout/tagout, asbestos, ventilation, respiratory hazards, heat stress and ergonomics. Provide lay summaries, flyers, factsheets, and workplace issues memos for local unions and campaigners.
- Assist in creating health and safety content for webpages on union website, as part of campaigns, training and social media actions. Prepare PowerPoints for conference presentations.
- Develop original training materials and coordinate materials production;
- Work with UNITE HERE members, organizers, researchers and elected leaders; assist in moving health and safety issues as part of campaign actions, and community and political work, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education or equivalent experience: graduate degree in occupational safety and health or industrial hygiene. May require future professional certification, i.e. CPH, CSP.
- Relevant training and experience in job safety and health issues from a union/worker advocate perspective; knowledge of health and safety and environmental regulations (OSHA, EPA) and professional association standards (ANSI, AIHA); and educational/training techniques and theories.
- Experience in occupational health research using employer data, i.e. OSHA logs, expert reports.
- Bilingual – English/Spanish, Verbal and Written
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint. Social media skills desired.
- Data analysis skills desired – SPSS, SAS or STATA.
- Must be willing and able to travel to appropriate work sites.
- Must be willing to work long hours, including some time on weekends.
Comprehensive benefit package including fully paid family health plan, dental, pharmacy and vision, and an employer paid pension plan along with a 401k plan, life insurance.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please be prepared to upload resume, cover letter and three references.