450 Lexington Avenue
Everytown for Gun Safety, the nation’s largest gun violence prevention advocacy group, is seeking a Research Associate to work with our Research Team. Everytown’s Research Team strives to identify, study, and advance evidence-based gun violence prevention solutions that will drive the greatest possible reductions in gun violence. This involves developing a deep understanding of every day gun violence in the US, and evaluating the policies and programs designed to prevent it.
The Research Associate will be responsible for producing research on various aspects of gun violence and policies, in close collaboration with an interdepartmental team. The Research Associate will also be responsible for core research processes such as maintaining databases and analyzing or visualizing their contents, tracking notable shootings in real-time, and drafting memos for internal and external dissemination.
- Conduct research to support Everytown’s federal, state, and cultural advocacy campaigns and to ensure the development of analytically rigorous and credible advocacy materials
- Assess academic and policy research related to gun violence, criminal justice, and public health; identify key findings and translate for a range of audiences
- Apply various research tools — organizing and analyzing quantitative data using Excel and other comparable software, and gathering qualitative information in the press, academic and criminal record databases, and social media, among others
- Contribute to drafts of key written materials including fact sheets, web copy, and reports
- Obtain, organize, and update datasets of frequent reference (CDC data; FBI background check data; state and city administrative data) using Excel or comparable software
- Experience using research to guide or inform legislative and/or executive policy priorities
- Excellent writing ability
- Strong attention to detail
- At ease juggling multiple, competing priorities in a high-paced work environment
- Ability to follow and respond to complex dynamics in legislative and electoral environments
- Comfort with program evaluation literature and methods
- Two years of work experience plus graduate education in relevant field, or similar combination of education and experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel is required
- Proficiency in statistical packages (Stata, SPSS, R, SAS, etc.) is preferred
- The ability to quickly learn new systems
- Familiarity with government-generated data and information sources (city, state, and federal), e.g. U.S. Census data preferred
- Creative thinking and problem-solving
- Enthusiasm for brainstorming research and policy ideas
- Ability to think creatively about research methodologies and policy debates
- Strong work ethic, sense of humor, and collaborative worker
- Comfort working in a busy open-plan office
Everytown for Gun Safety is a movement of Americans fighting for common-sense policies that will reduce gun violence and save lives. Everytown is the largest gun violence prevention organization in the country with more than three million supporters and more than 125,000 donors. Our supporters include moms, mayors, survivors, and everyday Americans who are fighting for reforms that respect the Second Amendment and protect people. At the core of Everytown are Mayors Against Illegal Guns, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America and the Everytown Survivor Network. Learn more at www.everytown.org and follow us @Everytown.
Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success.
Everytown for Gun Safety provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit our job page and provide a cover letter and resume. Please label your materials with your first and last name. Thank you.