Details: We are dedicated to you and your family's well-being! KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.
About KIPP Bay Area Public Schools
KIPP is a non-profit network of 224 college-preparatory, public charter schools across the country educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice-filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, and for us all.
There are currently 15 KIPP schools across the Bay Area educating nearly 6,000 students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Redwood City and supporting over 3,000 alumni around the country.
The KIPP Bay Area Public Schools Special Education Department is seeking a Speech and Language Pathology Assistant. The Speech and Language Pathology Assistant will work under the direction and supervision of a credentialed Speech and Language Pathologist and assist in working with elementary through high school students in screening and treating disorders of communication. These disorders of speech and language may include issues with articulation, fluency, voice, verbal and spoken language, auditory comprehension, and cognition communication. This position will execute specific components of a speech and language program as specified in an individualized educational plan (IEP) composed by the Speech and Language Pathologist.
This position will be based in San Jose.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist Speech and Language Pathologists in conducting student screenings and/or assessments of language, voice, fluency, articulation, or hearing. (without clinical interpretation of results)
- Implement treatment plans or protocols as directed by Speech and Language Pathologists
- Assist Speech and Language Pathologists in the remediation or development of speech and language skills.
- Collect and compile data to document students' performance and/or assess program quality
- Document students' progress toward meeting established goals and objectives
- Assist with informal documentation as directed by the Speech and Language Pathologist
- Assist with clerical duties such as preparing materials and scheduling activities as directed by the Speech and Language Pathologist
- Perform checks and maintenance of speech aids, devices, equipment, as needed
- Support the Supervising Speech and Language Pathologist in research projects, in-service training, and public relations programs
- Manage time efficiently, follow a schedule and inform appropriate personnel of departures from the schedule
- Exhibit compliance with regulations, reimbursement requirements, and Speech and Language Pathology Assistant job responsibilities
- Demonstrate sensitivity and skills needed to work with families, students, and staff from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Practice professional renewal through a variety of means such as attending conferences, workshops, and seminars and through participation in professional growth opportunities provided by KIPP Bay Area.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Desired Characteristics
- Completion of the following:
- Completed coursework and training specific to speech-language pathology assistant job responsibilities and workplace behaviors (must be through a program accredited by ASHA)
- Completed field work under the supervision of an ASHA-certified Speech and Language Pathologist
- Ability to demonstrate the skills necessary for fulfilling the job responsibilities of a Speech and Language Pathology Assistant
- Applicant must successfully complete a verification of technical proficiency as evaluated by an ASHA certified Speech and Language Pathologist within the scope of their interview/evaluation process
- Bachelor’s degree required; Associate’s degree considered
- California state board approved for Speech and Language Pathologist Assistant
- Bilingual (Spanish or Vietnamese) preferred.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with ability to engage and work closely with a wide range of staff members (educators, school administrators, senior management)
- Excellent organizational, planning, and implementation skills.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- Detail-oriented team player willing to roll up sleeves and get the job done.
- Demonstrated success with students from educationally underserved areas.
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP Bay Area Public Schools and our students.
- Ability to travel within SF Bay Area with own transportation (mileage reimbursed beyond usual commute).
Minimum Education Required