Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Watch this video to learn more about Reading Partners.
The high level:
The Development Manager (DM) is part of a team of fundraisers and relationship builders working together to support Reading Partners’ strategic growth plan through fundraising. The Development Manager’s main roles are to support the achievement of the regional fundraising goal in close partnership with the local development team by managing a portfolio of relationships that s/he cultivates and stewards effectively, and to support internal development operations. Reporting directly to the External Relations Director, the Development Manager develops and implements the overarching regional development strategy in close partnership with the External Relations Director and Executive Director, creatively drives fundraising in all funding streams and supports all revenue activities. The Development Manager also drives development operations internally for events, donor written communications, and manages a Development Associate to ensure excellent data management and operations. The Development Manager is a highly collaborative, goal-oriented, and driven relationship builder, who is excited by both higher-level strategy and on-the-ground operational work.
What you’ll do:
Each year, manage a portfolio of corporate, foundation and individual relationships to reach $3.1 million fundraising goal by June 30.
· Raise at least $1.8 million from foundation grants.
· Support the region in raising $160,000 from corporate sponsors.
· Support the region in establishing a strong individual giving campaign, bringing in 10% more donors than the previous year.
By leading a small team, drive regional development operations:
· Project manage and execute quarterly donor engagement and cultivation events.
· Project manage and execute annual Route to Reading fundraising event logistics.
· Oversee development systems and track progress against goals in Salesforce.
· Produce reports and data to drive revenue decisions and streamlined communication internally.
· Oversee grant submission process.
· Develop and execute individual giving campaign strategies and annual campaigns.
· Develop individual donor stewardship and appreciation processes.
In close collaboration with the External Relations team, support all external revenue activities to meet or exceed annual fundraising goals for the entire region.
· Participate in external meetings, engage with board members and donors
· Manage and provide strategy support to donor pipeline.
Other duties as needed.
How you’ll do it:
· Demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively with Executive Director to develop strategic fundraising plans, create action steps, and mobilize many stakeholders to achieve fundraising goals. In close collaboration, support the Executive Director to build sustainable plans to maximize market opportunities, meet goals, and significantly grow funding. Execute work in a highly organized, analytical, and data-informed manner.
· Demonstrate a proficient ability to conduct research, to prospect, and to drive ongoing development efforts in rapidly growing organizations particularly in Tulsa.
· Demonstrate a strong detail orientation, accuracy, and ability to develop compelling reports and communications to be used internally and externally. Execute all work in a highly organized, analytical, and data driven manner.
New Revenue Generation:
· Demonstrate a proficient ability to conduct research, to prospect, and to drive ongoing external development efforts in rapidly growing organizations particularly in Tulsa. Demonstrate excitement to steward and leverage relationships that result in meeting or exceeding target fundraising goals. Boast an entrepreneurial spirit and actively seek to deepen current donor relationships and forge new ones.
· Positively collaborate with, and lead an internal team to meet and exceed aggressive fundraising goals through effective development operations. Consistently coach, grow, and create stretch assignments to grow future fundraising leaders from within.
· Manage the Development Associate to deliver on a high volume of operational needs for the development department including grant writing, meeting brief creation, donor cultivation tracking, event planning, prospect research, and data entry.
· Effectively write high-quality donor communications that demonstrate deep knowledge of our program and promote our mission. Demonstrate the ability to write customized and compelling grant reports, proposals and letters of intent. Through exceptional writing, serve as an ambassador of Reading Partners.
· Externally, serve as an ambassador of Reading Partners. Quickly establish credibility when promoting Reading Partners to external audiences. Demonstrate a high degree of comfort and poise with donors, corporations, and prospects.
· Externally, demonstrate experience in external relations and relationships development. Regularly deliver convincing messaging and tailored experiences. Demonstrate a genuine joy in connecting with donors, and all external stakeholders.
· Internally, establish highly collaborative relationships with all team members. Demonstrate a hunger to learn, grow, support, and add great value. Regularly seek to understand all aspects of our model to convey externally.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
· You have 3+ years of increasing responsibility in a development or related role
· You have successfully lead a team for at least 1 year
· Are an exceptional and persuasive communicator in writing and verbally
· Are achievement-oriented and have a demonstrated track record of achieving aggressive fundraising goals
· Hold a Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience
· Can prove eligibility to work in the U.S. legally
· Boast a deep belief in our mission
· Root your work in our core values
Bonus Points if you:
· Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or other national service alum/alumna
· Have a high degree of comfort with Salesforce or other fundraising database
· Have experience working in launch or growth phases of organizations
· Experience work in education or literacy
What we offer:
Reading Partners offers the full package – great benefits, a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
· We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time exempt, salaried position.
· We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flex spending accounts, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, 403(b) option, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
· We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us.
The other things you need to know:
· Travel: This position travels regularly throughout Tulsa. This position may also involve occasional travel to Reading Partners’ National Headquarters in Oakland, CA.
· Typical Physical & Mental Demands: Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, and eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers and staff. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners team, please submit the following application materials to our online job posting:
· A cover letter describing your interest in Reading Partners and how your past experience has prepared you for this role. Please include your salary needs.
At Reading Partners we respect and honor the diversity in our workforce,
and we are an Equal Opportunity Employer.