Part Time Temporary
Details: Based on experience
557 McReynolds Rd
The Bay Area Discovery Museum’s Preschool camps are licensed through the California Department of Social Services and target children who will be age 3 by June 1, 2018. In the Big Discoveries camps, children will explore art and science learning at their own pace. Through an open-ended, child-directed approach, educators will adapt curriculum daily to encourage spontaneous adventures. We believe children learn best in a welcoming environment, rich with open-ended exploration. This type of environment and approach is dependent upon the teachers, and that is where you come in!
Preschool Camp Teachers and Lead Teachers will work in tandem to plan and implement interdisciplinary camp curricula. Ideal candidates will have deep commitment to and passion for research-backed teaching practice, expertise in child development, love and respect for young children and their enormous capabilities, and interest in serving in an entrepreneurial and evolving camp community. Camps run Monday through Friday from June 4th to August 24th, 2018, with a mandatory one-day training on June 1st. Employment shifts vary by position. All summer camp positions are part-time and non-exempt reporting to the Camps and Enrichment Classes Program Manager. These seasonal positions are not eligible for employee benefits.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Care for, supervise, and ensure the safety of campers during the camp day
- Serve as an appropriate and positive role model for all campers, caregivers and the general public
- Maintain a fun, positive, and friendly demeanor
- Work cooperatively to maintain open lines of communication with parents, participants, supervisors and co-workers
- Care for museum supplies, equipment and facilities
- Clean and organize classrooms
- Attend all leadership, development and staff training sessions
- Other duties as required by the Camps and Enrichment Classes Program Manager
For Lead Teachers:
- All duties listed above, plus those listed below.
- Manage camp group’s drop-off, pick-up, and parent communication process daily
- Evaluate and adapt camp curriculum to provide developmentally appropriate activities
- Provide leadership in the classroom for all Teachers and Interns.
- Develop and send weekly email updates to parents
SKILL REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- BA or BS degree in education, early childhood education, child development or relevant field preferred for Teachers and required for Lead Teachers; MA preferred for Lead Teachers
- Minimum of 6 completed ECE units for Teachers and 12 units for Lead Teachers
- Experience leading activities for young children in an informal education setting
- Experience working in an informal education, summer camp, or early childhood education setting
- Understanding of behavior management strategies
- Experience designing and planning programs for young children
- Superior customer service standards
- Ability to work flexibly within a team and to take direction
- Ability to take initiative to work independently
- Mature and hard-working attitude
- Must be trained or commit to being trained in First Aid, CPR and AED for adult, infant and child
- LiveScan and criminal record clearance through DOJ Child Abuse Index
- Proof of absence of tuberculosis (TB) required before starting employment
- Availability for all camp sessions, June 4th - August 24th 2018, plus a mandatory training day on Friday, June 1st
The Bay Area Discovery Museum offers a high-energy, results-oriented, creative and fun environment where all staff members contribute to creating an innovative environment that helps us achieve our mission. We offer the knowledge that your skills impact over 300,000 museum visitors each year onsite and many more in the community through the BADM’s Center for Childhood Creativity.
The Bay Area Discovery Museum is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To view more information on each available position and apply for employment, please visit:
Applicants should be prepared to provide both a resume and cover letter. Please attach your cover letter in step 2 of the online application process when prompted to attach other documents.
NOTE TO CANDIDATE
Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position.