Details: $15-$18 an hour, d.o.e.
7412 Fulton Avenue Ste #3
Organization: Food Forward, Inc a 501 (c) (3) non-profit, www.foodforward.org
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Organizational Overview: Food Forward’s mission is to fight hunger and prevent food waste by rescuing fresh surplus produce, connecting this abundance with people in need and inspiring others to do the same. Fruits and vegetables are rescued from backyard fruit trees, orchards, farmers markets, and the downtown Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market. In the last 9 years, Food Forward’s programs have rescued over 55 million pounds (more than 200 million servings) of fresh produce, preventing nearly 19,000 metric tons of carbon equivalent from polluting the atmosphere. With a small staff, hundreds of community partners, and the power of 7,000+ volunteers, we will help over 1.75 million Southern Californians experiencing food insecurity this year. *See our core values posted below.
The Farmers Market Recovery Program (FMR) is an innovative program that gleans unsold produce from farmers markets and distributes it to hunger relief agencies around Los Angeles. The program perfectly aligns with Food Forward’s mission, as it addresses the problems of food waste that are often present at farmers markets while combating hunger and food access injustices. The FMR program currently has weekly volunteer events at 23 markets across Los Angeles and Ventura Counties.
The Program Coordinator will report to the FMR Manager and will play an important role in organizing and deepening the program. Weekly responsibilities of the Program Coordinator include coordinating and retaining lead volunteers; maintaining program logistics; data collection, and; reporting detailed program information to the FMR Manager. Long-term projects will include assisting in the launch of new market gleaning programs, engaging with program stakeholders, and supporting volunteer and vendor appreciation efforts. The Program Coordinator will have the opportunity to offer new ideas and techniques to improve the program.
Most work would be completed Monday through Friday. At least two weekend work days are required per month to accommodate the weekend markets. Weekend work would consist of volunteer and logistics support and in-the-field market visits for quality control and restocking of equipment.
- Valid Class C Driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Ability to lift and move boxes of produce weighing up to 45 lbs from ground
- Availability to work on Saturdays and Sundays when needed and commit to 40 hours of work per week
- Extremely organized and efficient with excellent attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Team player excited to work with an eclectic bunch of individuals
- Highly skilled in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Google Drive, and Dropbox
- Has passion centered around Food Forward’s goals
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, open-space environment
Food Forward Core Values:
- Creativity – We seek to innovate in all facets of our work.
- Joyfulness – We cultivate a meaningful, fun, positive and spirited work environment.
- Committed to Food Justice – We believe that access to wholesome food, and fresh nutritious produce, is not a privilege, but a right. We work hard to end food inequality and reduce food insecurity.
- Authenticity – We are transparent and honest in our words, deeds and actions. We act at the highest level of integrity.
- Disciplined – We are reliable, professional, accountable, rigorous and committed to excellence in all areas of our work, both internally and externally.
- Community-minded – We aim to include and connect people in the community, and to remain open, diverse, respectful, and accessible. We take pride in offering people meaningful volunteer and work experiences.
- Simple IRA with 3% employer matching (after one year of employment)
- Generous Sick Days, Paid-Time-Off, and Holiday allocation
- Cell phone allowance
- Work flexibility
- 100% Medical, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a cover letter in the body of the email including: 1) Where did you discover this listing, and 2) If you were a fruit or vegetable what would you be and why? Please attach your resume as a PDF and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The subject line should read, Farmers Market Recovery Program Coordinator – (Your Name). No phone calls please. Please follow these instructions to insure that we process your application.
Food Forward strongly encourages people of color, women, l/g/b/t/q individuals, people with disabilities, and those with protected class backgrounds to apply.