445 Summit Rd.
Do you have coffee barista experience and know how to maintain an espresso machine? Would you love the opportunity to deepen your mindfulness practice while serving as a part-time cafe manager? If so, Anjaneya’s World Cafe may be the perfect place for you!
The Mount Madonna Center is located on 355 scenic acres of redwood forest overlooking Monterey Bay in the mountains of Watsonville. In addition to hosting yoga retreats, MMC is home to about 75 residents and an authentic Hanuman (Hindu/Vedic) Temple. Inspired by the teachings of Sri Baba Hari Dass, the Center offers daily yoga and meditation classes, beautiful hiking trails, a nurturing and supportive community, and so much more! For more information, please visit www.mountmadonna.org.
About the Cafe Assistant Manager Position:
Anjaneya’s World Cafe is located on the MMC campus and serves visitors to the Hanuman Temple as well as retreat guests and the center community. We serve coffee, tea, and a variety of additional drinks and snacks.
We are looking to hire an Assistant Manager for about 15 hours a week at $15 an hour. The purpose of this role is to provide day-to-day operating support to the General Manager, a community resident who oversees products and sales, scheduling, finances, and payroll. Perks include: one complimentary drink per shift, a 30% discount on all cafe items, one meal from the dining hall per shift of 5+ hours, and access to MMC facilities.
The primary qualifications for this position are: a flexible schedule with weekend availability, coffee barista experience, and at least basic knowledge of espresso machine maintenance. More extensive barista knowledge and/or managerial experience are preferred, but not required for consideration.
In addition to the above, ideal candidates will:
- Have a positive and self-motivated attitude
- Demonstrate interest in self-development through selfless service
- Be at least 21 years old and hold a high school diploma or equivalent
- Have reliable transportation
- Be fit to handle the physical demands of this position
- Be interested in committing to a year or more of employment at Anjaneya’s
- The Mount Madonna Center promotes sobriety and nonviolence. No smoking, drugs, alcohol, or meat (eggs/dairy are ok) are permitted on the property. If these guidelines will be challenging for you, Center culture may not be the best fit.
- Cafe set-up on weekends and holidays
- Assist General Manager with weekly inventory and supply orders
- Pick up supplies from vendors in the Santa Cruz area
- Weekly cleaning, including espresso machine cleaning & maintenance
- Training hourly employees
- Assist General Manager with end-of-month financial report
- Any additional responsibilities delegated by the General Manager
Perks include: one complimentary drink per shift, a 30% discount on all cafe items, one meal from the dining hall per shift of 5+ hours, and access to MMC facilities.
Level of Language Proficiency
Hindi would be helpful
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send an email with the subject line “Assistant Manager Application” to email@example.com with your resume, contact information for 2-3 references (at least one professional), and your answers to the following questions.
- While this is not a residential position, MMC employees become integrated into our intentional community to the extent that they choose. Tell us about your experiences, if any, of living and/or working in a community setting.
- What does self-development and selfless service mean to you?
- Why would you be a great fit for the Anjaneya’s team?
- Is there anything else you would like us to know about yourself?
THANK YOU for taking the time and effort to explore this opportunity. We look forward to reviewing your application!