111 Myrtle Street Suite 203
Director of Talent and Human Resources
WHO WE ARE
Our mission is to transform the lives of students - especially those who will be the first in their family to attend college - by preparing them for success in college, career, and life.
At Envision Education, we believe the current achievement gap reflects a systemic failure to understand how kids learn, what motivates them to learn, and what they need in order to learn well. We know that vibrant learning communities apply compassion and high expectations to inspire and empower students. Envision Education is a national model for using Performance Assessment to prepare students for success in college and in life. Envision Education operates three small high schools and one middle school. Graduates go on to succeed in college at significantly higher rates than their peers: 99% attend college and 85% persist once they get there. With a population that is 75% first generation college bound, our approach is specifically designed to increase student engagement, deepen integration and understanding, promote active learning, and ensure college success compared to national averages of 60% and 70% respectively for those two important indicators. Envision also operates Envision Learning Partners, a consultancy division that takes Envision's innovative practices of performance assessment to schools and leaders throughout the country.
Envision Education seeks an experienced, strategic, people-focused Director of Talent and Human Resources to support our network of charter schools, Envision Learning Partners, and support office. The ideal candidate for this role will be deeply committed to educational equity, with knowledge of federal and state employment law and experience in recruitment, supervision, and employee relations. The ideal candidate will bring both the technical HR skills and a strategic, equity-centered leadership stance that will help Envision fully realize its vision of a culture in which a diverse group of people feels included and efficacious. This position reports to the Chief People Officer (CPO) and works closely with individuals at all levels of the organization, as well as with outside consultants/vendors.
- Lead and execute all functional and technical pieces below through a strategic and values-aligned lens, serving as a key organizational leader and driver of culture.
- Continuously innovate on Envision’s HR and Talent practices.
- Collaborate with CPO to develop and implement strategies related to talent pipeline development, staff retention, career development and succession planning.
- Work with Envision leaders to define annual hiring and recruiting plans aligned with organizational goals and objectives for attraction and retention of high quality, diverse staff.
- Oversee all hiring-related processes and relationships, including direct responsibility for hiring key school and Support Office senior staff.
- Develop and implement tools to streamline processes and track data to make continuous improvements to talent and hiring processes.
- Ensure that staff hold appropriate credentials and work with teachers and outside agencies to ensure compliance.
- Oversee onboarding programs and work with the HR team and other hiring managers to implement appropriate and thorough onboarding programs for all new employees.
- Ensure Envision’s compliance with federal, state, charter and local workplace regulations including mandatory trainings.
- Ensure that policies and the handbook reflect Envision’s adherence to statutory and mandatory requirements, as well as reflect Envision’s culture and values.
- Train school-site operations staff on compliance issues and processes. Act as consultant resource to Supervisors with compliance/legal issues.
- Oversee employee files/record keeping and data tracking, including background checking related to new hires, employee reviews, promotions, complaints,
separations, benefits, workers compensation claims, and exit interviews.
- Prepare and submit annual compliance reports including EEO and Charter authorizer required reports.
- Collaborate with CPO to set salaries and total rewards programs for the organization.
- Ensure that all new positions/hires have gone through budgetary approval.
- Conduct job analysis to establish specific requirements of individual jobs; classify positions in accordance FSLA guidelines; create job descriptions and/or re-scope job descriptions to meet departmental needs.
- Ensure that all employees are classified appropriately and that wage and hour laws are adhered to.
- Conduct spot surveys for single positions and salary increase trends.
- Maintain salary database and update employees’ salaries annually.
- Oversee and/or prepare and distribute annual salary letters to existing employees.
- Oversee and/or prepare all new hire offer and salary letters.
- Manage employee benefits programs and external relationships for all benefits plans.
- Work with CPO and COO to perform annual benefits evaluation; restructure or revise plans to meet budget requirements and better meet staff needs.
- Supervise benefits administration and handle non-routine problem escalation.
- Manage open enrollment process and conduct on-site meetings. Ensure administration of changes is rolled out effectively.
- Oversee all aspects of separations including working with Supervisors and staff on processes and procedures, and ensure processes are in compliance with all applicable state and federal law.
- Conduct employee investigations from complaints, and mediate, or work with outside counsel to mediate.
- Coach Supervisors and provide training on discipline issues, performance improvement plans, and terminations.
- Ensure that Envision maintains compliance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement and be an active member of future bargaining.
Performance Evaluation Systems:
- Evaluate, revise and implement Performance Evaluation Systems for all staff aligned to Envision’s core values.
- Pilot new systems and evaluate effectiveness of systems in meeting goals.
- Perform analysis to inform decisions and to calibrate effectiveness and buy-in by staff, as well as calibration of ratings across sites.
- Manage all employee leaves in compliance with regulation.
- Ensure Envision follows requirements for ADA.
- Manage Workers Compensation claims and coordinate with WC providers.
- Supervise HR team (currently Talent/HR Manager and HR Coordinator) and actively support their growth, professional development aligned to their goals, and efficacy aligned to organizational goals.
- Work closely with finance, operations, accounting, communications, and school administrators as needed for project development or implementation.
Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
Compensation and Benefits: Starting salary range will be be $90,000-100,000, depending on experience. Benefits include: paid sick leave; excellent health benefits package with employer contribution to benefits; optional Flexible Benefits Plan; 403b Retirement Savings Plan with Employer match; Commuter Check Plans; Life Insurance at no cost to employee.
Level of Language Proficiency
The Director of Talent/HR will have:
- Belief in Envision Education’s philosophy that all students, regardless of race, socioeconomic status, family background, or past academic performance, can succeed academically
- Values-aligned approach to leadership and their work
- Comprehensive understanding of human resources practices and principles including recruitment, benefits, compensation, employee relations, and performance management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated capability to interface and maintain effective relationships within a multi-site organization.
- Excellent communication skills with demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively; and to effectively address all levels within the organization.
- Excellent organization, time management and follow-up skills; demonstrated ability to successfully handle multiple projects concurrently; ability to work independently and adjust to new situations.
- Ability to research complex problems and develop cost effective practical solutions.
- Equity stance and interest in working in urban education; education experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required; PHR/SPHR certificate, graduate degree in business, HR/Organizational Development, or related field preferred.
- 5-7 years related experience, with at least 5 years of recruitment experience and at least 2 years of supervisory experience.
Hours and Work Year: This is a full-time, 12-month position. Start date as soon as possible.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please include and cover letter and resume. You can apply online using the link above.
As an equal opportunity employer, we believe deeply in diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all people. Envision recruits, employs, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and the many other characteristics that make us diverse.