415 2nd Street NE
District of Columbia
Position summary and background:
At Capitol Hill Group Ministry (CHGM), housing is our starting point; seeing people thrive is our finish line. As the Director of Strategic Initiatives (DSI), you will have the chance to be part of real change while also having autonomy, ownership and support. Our DSI will be a seasoned leader with extensive experience in development and communications as well as a commitment to a healthy and happy work culture.
This is a new position. You will have a chance to create a culture of strategic philanthropy at CHGM. The Director of Strategic Initiatives (DSI) will report to the organization’s Executive Director, and will be part of the Leadership Team. The DSI will provide overall leadership for the organization’s development and communication efforts, including traditional fundraising, government contract management, and ensuring that the communications strategy supports the organization’s strategic plan and development efforts. The DSI will be a creative thinker who can help CHGM to promote its 50 years of service to the community (50 years in 2018!) and deepen relationships with the Capitol Hill faith-based organizations who have supported us over the years. The DSI will supervise 1-2 staff members and will work with staff across the organization.
Things you’re wondering about:
- CHGM is a place where fundraising and communication are valued strategic functions—the ED and Board have been doing this work and are looking to add a new senior leader to increase the organization’s capacity to achieve a new, bolder mission. The DSI will be the team’s expert in development and communications—and will also have opportunities beyond fundraising to grow and contribute.
- The salary range is 85,000 – 95,000, depending on experience.
- The current annual budget is 2 million with approximately 90% coming from the DC government.
- The organization currently has one main event a year.
- CHGM’s dynamic Executive Director has been the ED for 4.5 years and there has been no management team turnover during her tenure. She truly wants you to love working at CHGM. She has a background in law and wants to do even more in development with you. She sees you as a real partner in this work.
- The organization believes in and supports ongoing professional development.
- The organization has a reserve fund.
- CHGM currently uses Charity Engine for tracking donations.
- There are many opportunities to help grow the organization and its people, and we need someone who is a self-starter.
- We are finalizing our four-year strategic plan in summer 2018, and we will unveil our new name this summer, making this a uniquely interesting time to join as an externally facing staff member. You will help us carry our new vision and message to the community.
- We are looking for someone who seeks a professional home and values-driven work community. Believing in our mission is a must.
- Position status: exempt
- We have supportive relationships with local faith-based organizations that are important to our history and our future. However, we are not a faith-based organization and do not promote any religious faith or ideology.
- Leads the organization’s fundraising strategy and operations, which includes maintaining current revenue while growing new revenue streams and other strategies for the future.
- Creates and oversees a communications strategy for CHGM, ensuring that it supports the organization’s strategic plan and fundraising efforts.
- Oversees management of government contracts and assists with government relations as appropriate.
- Works with CHGM’s Board of Directors and staff to ensure the organization’s long-term success.
- Develops and implements creative initiatives that will grow the organization.
- Serves as an enthusiastic member of the CHGM Leadership Team and as a mentor to staff members.
- Is a passionate external voice on the issue of homelessness and CHGM’s vision for the the future.
- Minimum of five years experience in development. Proven track record in the cultivation, solicitation and closing of foundation and government grants. Experience working in or running a small development shop preferred.
- Experience with communications—from strategy to execution—in both traditional and social media.
- Experience with individual donor cultivation strongly preferred—especially a proven track record of cultivating and retaining donors at all levels, with a preference for experience in building an individual donor program and working with Boards and senior staff to cultivate individual donors.
- Extra-great eye for detail.
- Excellent management and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in Word and Excel and fundraising databases.
- Excellent organizational skills and proven ability to self manage and lead (able to work independently, flexibly, collaboratively, and productively in a fast-paced environment and the ability to manage a multi-faceted workload). Proven experience in working across an organization essential.
About our organization:
Vision: CHGM envisions the District of Columbia as a thriving and diverse community where all people can obtain and remain in safe, affordable, and comfortable homes.
Mission: CHGM supports the holistic needs of individuals and families at risk of, or experiencing, homelessness. Housing is our starting point. Seeing people thrive is our finish line.
401K, health/dental/vision insurance, paid holidays, sick and vacation leave, professional development, flexible work arrangement, awesome team.
Minimum Education Required