Details: All positions are full-time and offer competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
District of Columbia
Protect Democracy is seeking a highly motivated individual to join the team as a Communicator. The Communicator will have the following responsibilities:
- Provide communications leadership to the entire Protect Democracy team;
- Serve as a key member of the communications and policy team by developing strong relationships and operationalizing relationships with reporters and allies who could support or advance PD’s work;
- Collaborate with project leads, including lawyers, to advance project goals through communications means;
- Independently seek opportunities to build and improve on Protect Democracy’s communications framework by closely examining needs, assessing possible solutions, and making concise recommendations to the Director of Communications and Policy, Executive Director, Legal Director and Project Leads;
- Serving as a resource to the media and organize the assets in Protect Democracy’s network to do the same;
- Develop and execute social media, digital, and creative strategies;
- Ensure the public is informed about Protect Democracy’s work to the extent that advances the mission through whatever means are appropriate;
- Conceive and create new projects to use the media to advance our mission;
- Develop, design and draft content or oversee those who will.
- Keen attention to detail, strong personal motivation, and ability to quickly master the mechanics of new concepts, markets, or systems
- Ability to track, prioritize, and balance an assortment of on-going responsibilities while anticipating the needs of staff
- Strong writing and research skills
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills
- Excellent critical thinking skills – can reason their way through novel problems and have good instincts about how to get to efficient solutions
- Facility with databases and data management
- Minimum 3-4 years’ work experience at a top quality company or mission-driven organization. (the role of the position will scale with experience)
- Adherence to the culture principles of the organization
- Comfort with an open and transparent culture with constant feedback up, down and sideways
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution
- Comfort taking smart, strategic and calculated risks
- Comfort working in a start-up environment, doing whatever is necessary to build the organization and support your own work
- Comfort with team collaboration; not needing to work only in an isolated and autonomous way
- A healthy mix of idealism, sophistication and practicality, coupled with personal kindness and generosity of spirit
- Ability to manage multiple projects and workstreams at the same time, staying on top of them all.
- Ability to place comms work within a strategic framework designed to achieve clear objectives.
- Fluency with the current political environment and legal issues (a J.D. is not a requirement, but the ability to understand and communicate legal issues is).
- Comfort developing relevant metrics and then meeting them.
- Extreme welcoming of input and feedback from across the team.
- Strong writing ability, ability to craft blog posts, emails, etc. that deal with issues of concern to Protect Democracy.
- Ability to build and manage strong relationships with reporters.
- Ability to represent Protect Democracy in high stakes press environments.
The only location requirements are that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in DC, NY, Boston and Virginia.
Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative and productive teams. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply to this position, send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com with the position you are applying for in the subject line followed by your last name.