Senior Advocate Counselor/College Career Specialist-LTW Metropolitan Diploma Plus High School
- Job posted by New York City Mission Society
105 East 22nd Street
New York City Mission Society improves the lives of children, youth, and families in the city’s most underserved communities. Through programs and services that respond to community needs, we create cycles of success for generations to come. Join Team Mission.
Location:985 Rockaway Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11212
The Learning to Work Program administered at Metropolitan Diploma Plus High School is a collaboration with the NYC Department of Education. The program assists students, who are over-aged and under-credentialed, in acquiring the skills, knowledge, attitudes and behavioral changes that will maximize their potential. The program’s aim is to enable students to graduate high school, transition into post-secondary education, or into meaningful permanent employment. The school is located at 985 Rockaway Avenue, Brooklyn, NY.
Provide academic, college and career counseling. Perform counseling duties consistent with the needs of program participants. Assists with the delivery of educational services through Advisory sessions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Establish a rapport with program participants. Assist them in identifying their educational, college and career goals; help them to formulate written plans through post secondary planning.
- Maintain a caseload of participants. Complete the individual services strategy with participants.
- Provide crisis intervention services
- Prepare and execute workshops on college and career planning
- Assist students in filing financial aid forms (FAFSA)
- Arrange and execute college visits and inform students about college / career opportunities
- Advocate for in-school remediation for participants as appropriate. Prepare paperwork i.e. intake forms, evaluations, reports etc. as needed.
- Provide individual and group counseling
- Monitor the academic progress of participants on assigned caseload
- Advocate for participants needing social services and care
- Provide interpersonal and life management skills counseling
- Participate on interdisciplinary participant progress teams within the school
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum BA degree
- At least 5 years experience working and providing counseling services to children and adolescents
- Knowledge of adolescent development and youth development principles
- Experience working with inner-city youth, English language learners and the issues of inner-city youth
- Knowledge of performance based contracting
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for work, sense of humor, patience and self-control. Values providing outstanding customer service and working in a team environment with school personnel
Comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, life, long term disability insurance, defined benefit pension plan, voluntary 403(B) plan, TransitChek, Employee Wellness Program, Municipal Credit Union membership, voluntary supplemental insurance options.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested and qualified individuals should forward their resumes with cover letter to HR@nycmissionsociety.org, or fax to 212-979-5764. Include in subject line - re: LTW Metropolitan HS - Sr. Advocate Counselor.
Note: We are unable to accept phone calls. Applicants must meet qualifications stated above. Only applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
New York City Mission Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply.