81 Prospect Street
Equal Justice USA (EJUSA) is a national organization working to transform the justice system by promoting responses to violence that break cycles of trauma. We work at the intersection of criminal justice, public health, and racial justice to elevate healing and safety over retribution, advance racial equity, and meet the needs of survivors. Our primary programs work to end the death penalty, limit and transform policing, and change the national narrative on violence and accountability.
Reporting to the Director of Finance & Administration (DFA), the Bookkeeper works closely with DFA and the Operations Manager to manage EJUSA’s day-to-day accounting and financial management functions.
• Managing the complete Accounts Payables and Accounts Receivables functions, including entering receipt and disbursement transactions into QuickBooks, and tracking and managing A/P and A/R balances
• Processing staff purchase and reimbursement requests
• Tracking and processing staff credit card transactions
• Entering bi-weekly payroll data into QuickBooks
• Tracking information for 1099 vendors and processing 1099 forms at year end
• Entry and reconciliation of development department data into QuickBooks
• Preparing monthly invoices/expense reimbursements to grant funders
• Preparing financial reports, as needed/directed
• Creating documentation for the external accountants and assisting with preparation of annual 990 filings and audit
• Monitoring and enforcing fiscal policies, procedures, and internal controls
• Managing the organization’s chart of accounts
• Participating in the creation of annual operating and program budgets
• Maintaining orderly accounting records and files (electronic and paper)
• Assisting with filing and other clerical/administrative duties, as needed
• 3-5 years non-profit accounting/bookkeeping experience
• Meticulous attention to accuracy and detail
• Experience tracking and reporting on restricted grants
• Proficiency with QuickBooks and the Microsoft Office suite, familiarity with DonorPro a plus
• Familiarity with a Mac-based work environment
• Positive attitude and friendly personality; ability to get along with many types of people and be a true team player
• Commitment to the mission and core values of Equal Justice USA
Excellent benefits including employer-paid medical and dental care, retirement plan, paid vacation, sick days, and holidays, disability insurance, and professional development allowance.
Compensation: $48,000 to 52,000 commensurate with experience.
Target Start Date: Immediately
EJUSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage a diverse pool of candidates to apply, including those impacted by the issues we work on. We consider all applicants on the basis of their ability to perform the job, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, physical appearance, age, mental or physical disability, credit history, veteran status, uniform service member status, justice system involvement, victims of domestic violence, stalking, or other crimes, political affiliation, or any other legally protected class. EJUSA does not tolerate discrimination or harassment against any of the above listed classes.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Visit www.ejusa.org/jobs to apply online. Upload a cover letter and resume in PDF format only by clicking "I'm interested" on the top right of the job ad. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No calls please. Applications will be reviewed immediately on a rolling basis.