BayLegal seeks an experienced non-profit Human Resources Assistant with a strong commitment to public interest and social justice advocacy. The COVID-19 public health and economic crisis has made civil legal services ever more critical to help individuals and families avoid homelessness and devastating debt and to provide opportunities for stability and self-sufficiency. In this position you will work alongside and report to the Human Resources Manager in furthering BayLegal's mission and operations as a non-profit law firm. This position is based in our Central Support Office in Oakland, California. Central Support is responsible for ensuring smooth and expert centralized administration to support employees and advocacy throughout the regional firm and advance broad vision and mission goals. See COVID-19 Temporary Remote Work description below.
As a Human Resources Assistant, you will have the opportunity to:
· Learn and assist with the diverse operational needs of a large non-profit law firm dedicated to addressing legal needs of low-income communities to reduce homelessness, enhance stability, and address social injustice.
· Perform a wide range of administrative tasks and services to support effective and efficient operations of the organization’s human resources department.
· Assist with administering tests, scheduling appointments, and collecting new hire paperwork.
· Answer frequently asked questions from applicants and employees relative to standard policies, benefits, hiring processes, etc. refers more complex questions to Human Resources Manager.
· Assist with processing Personnel Action Notice forms for employee status changes.
· Assist in maintaining accurate and up-to-date human resource files, records, and documentation.
· Conduct data entry in the preparation of HR related reports. Exercise diplomacy, sound judgment and initiative in screening, prioritizing, and coordinating incoming communications (mail, email, phone, meeting requests, etc.) in a wide range of areas requiring a thorough knowledge of BayLegal’s procedures and policies.
· Assist on complex assignments and special projects with independent action and a high degree of initiative.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements/Qualifications/About the Successful Candidate:
· Humility in working with colleagues, clients, vendors, and community members across the spectrum of diversity, including race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, immigrant status, religious identity, physical and mental disabilities, and/or limited English proficiency.
· Strong commitment to social justice and anti-poverty advocacy.
· Associate degree in HR-related field required (Bachelor’s preferred) with 5+ years’ related administrative experience.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact, professionalism, and diplomacy.
· Strong personal work ethic and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines with minimal supervision.
· Proficient with or the ability to quickly learn human resource information system (HRIS), and similar computer applications.
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
· Curious and self-directed with an ability to anticipate what needs to be done.
BayLegal seeks an experienced non-profit Human Resources Assistant with a strong commitment to public interest and social justice advocacy. The COVID-19 public health and economic crisis has made civil legal services ever more…
We offer a diverse, family friendly environment, and compensation based on competitive public interest salaries along with a generous benefits package. BayLegal's benefits package includes 100% employer covered medical, dental, and life insurance for employees and up to 40-50% for dependents; long term disability insurance; stipends for bilingual employees whose language skills are used in the provision of work tasks; student debt repayment program; dependent childcare employer contribution program and 401k retirement plan following first year. Paid leave policy includes: sick leave; parental leave; 14 holidays each year and vacation (starting at 13 days and increasing with additional years of employment).
We offer a diverse, family friendly environment, and compensation based on competitive public interest salaries along with a generous benefits package. BayLegal's benefits…
BayLegal thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please email the following to our Human Resources Department firstname.lastname@example.org (1) cover letter including response to question below (no page limit), (2) resume, (3) references, and (4) writing sample. Please reference BayLegal HR Assistant position in the subject of your email.
As part of your cover letter, please address the following:
BayLegal's clients are low- and very low-income members of our communities. They include people of color, LGBTQ+ people, immigrants, seniors, people with lived experiences of homelessness, veterans, people with disabilities, and people from other underrepresented groups. BayLegal is committed to enhancing the provision of our services to all clients, increasing positive client outcomes, and creating an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. BayLegal promotes and supports policies that enable us to work effectively in cross-cultural situations with our clients, coworkers, and the community.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to: (1) serve our diverse client base effectively, (2) work effectively with colleagues from different backgrounds than your own, (3) acknowledge the systemic barriers that our clients face, and (4) contribute to our efforts to fight for racial justice? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, provide examples, and apply various aspects of your life and personal experiences.
BayLegal thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women…