Details: Compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience.
As the state’s largest citizen-based environmental advocacy group, PennEnvironment seeks a dynamic leader and experienced organizer who is ready to lead a team of staff members who will move Pennsylvania to 100% renewable energy, clean up the Commonwealth’s largest polluters, protect the outdoor places we love, and stand up to the fracking industry.
At PennEnvironment, we know that it takes an active and engaged citizenry to tackle the largest problems facing our environment, from climate change to pollution in our rivers and streams. As part of our leadership team, the PennEnvironment Organizing Director leads our statewide campaign staff as they build the grassroots and political power it will take to protect our air, water and open spaces. Specifically, the Organizing Director works with our staff to activate volunteers in key communities, coordinate our coalition work, and drive media coverage throughout the Commonwealth. The Organizing Director should be based in Philadelphia and will report directly to the Executive Director, David Masur.
PennEnvironment’s mission is to advance the environmental values we share and win tangible results. We advocate for 100% renewable energy that doesn’t pollute and never runs out; clean rivers and streams, and water to drink; and clean air to breathe; preserved parks and wilderness from Ohiopyle to the Delaware Water Gap.
During our forty-year history, PennEnvironment has stood up to powerful polluters and politicians in our fight for the environment. We were the first organization to call for a ban on fracking, and we lead the effort to mobilize over 100,000 Pennsylvanians to join our call to ban this dangerous practice. We’ve developed a network of hundreds of Climate Defender volunteers; organized town halls and rallies with critical decision makers from U.S. Senator Bob Casey to Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto to Philadelphia City Council Blondell Reynolds Brown. Our research on lead in drinking water received statewide media coverage, leading to a bipartisan group of legislators pledging to introduce legislation to implement some of our policy recommendations. And, we’ve helped launch innovative coalitions, such as the Philadelphia Healthy Schools Initiative, which includes Philadelphia’s teachers’ union, parent groups, public health experts and environmental officials working to tackle health problems in our school buildings.
· Staff Management and Training: Oversee PennEnvironment’s staff across the state. Provide them with management and mentorship, skills training, and the support they need to build power and to win campaigns. You’ll help develop campaign activities, run trainings with your staff to develop and hone skills, and travel regularly to participate in campaign activities with your staff.
· Strategic Planning and Program Development: Be part of the team that sets the organization’s agenda by identifying the biggest environmental threats and developing the strategy and tactics to solve these problems. You will also help develop campaign materials for key organizing tactics your staff are executing, including media materials, grassroots materials like petitions, and event materials.
· Communications and Organizational Visibility: Work to increase coverage of environmental issues in the media and highlight PennEnvironment’s work on these issues through events, news releases and meetings.
· Power Building: The big solutions needed to protect our environment, from moving to 100% renewables to banning fracking, will take years. The Organizing Director will help PennEnvironment build more political power through our campaigns. You will develop and execute best practices to improve our organizing; innovate new methods to engage the public; develop plans to expand our volunteer networks, coalition partners and reach; and evaluate the success of our programs to ensure we’re building more power over time.
· Fundraising: Build lasting relationships in the foundation community, develop a network of donors through your work, and help execute small donor fundraising opportunities to build our membership.
Candidates must have at least 5 years of organizing experience, such as community organizing, campus organizing, campaign coordination, environmental advocacy, or coalition-building. Environmental advocacy and campaign coordination is strongly preferred. The ideal candidate is passionate about mobilizing the public support crucial for protecting our environment and movement building, and has a track record of accomplishment and an ability to work effectively with people from divergent political beliefs and experience.
If you have less experience, you can apply for our Climate Defender Organizer or Fellowship at www.PennEnvironment.org/jobs.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience. PennEnvironment offers a competitive benefits package.
Apply online. Direct your application Adam Garber, Deputy Director. We’ll review your application, and if we are if we are interested in discussing your candidacy further, we will be in touch with you shortly.
THINGS TO KNOW WHEN YOU APPLY
Environment America and PennEnvironment are part of The Public Interest Network — a group of organizations that share a vision of a better future, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to making positive change. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
PennEnvironment is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status.
One of our partners, Work For Progress, is hiring Election Canvass Directors. If you are interested in a short-term position working on the 2018 election to elect candidates who will fight to reverse global warming, get big money out of politics, and help young people deal with the rising cost of college and student debt, apply here https://workforprogress.org/job-board/?entry=464/
PennEnvironment offers a competitive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required