245 Second St NE
The Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL), a nonpartisan Quaker lobby based in Washington, DC, is seeking a Development Assistant. This is a new position created to better help FCNL learn more about its current donors and new prospects, build closer relationships with its monthly donors, and more efficiently handle the administrative responsibilities of a rapidly-growing development department.
The Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) works for social justice, peace, and stewardship of the environment. Since 1943, FCNL has brought Quaker values to bear on national policy through congressional testimony, Capitol Hill visits, media outreach, grassroots lobbying and long-term campaigns. We accomplish this work through focused legislative campaigns, educational activities, publications, mass emails, and digital tools like social media. FCNL witnesses from a basis of spiritual and ethical purpose and seeks to change government policy and practice for the better. FCNL is growing. In the last decade, tens of thousands of new people have been drawn to join the FCNL network to learn more about federal policy issues, lobby their elected representatives and help to rebuild our democratic system. Today, our nationwide network of some 70,000 includes people from many different faiths and backgrounds. FCNL is governed by a General Committee of about 190 people, who are members of the Religious Society of Friends. This committee meets annually. FCNL offices are located on Capitol Hill, directly across from the Hart Senate Office Building. We currently have a staff of 48. We take joy in having a multitude of voices and talents working together to strengthen our impact in the world. In keeping with our Quaker testimony of equality, we strive to be an organization that welcomes, values, and respects the diverse perspectives of the people who work here.
The Development Assistant is a member of FCNL’s Development team, reports to the Development Database Coordinator, and works in FCNL’s 245 2nd St NE building in Washington, DC. This is a new, part-time position with a variety of responsibilities ranging from donor research, data/mail processing, and donor stewardship. The Development Assistant works closely with all members of the Development team and plays an integral role in helping the department to be more efficient and responsive to donor needs.
Key Priorities and Responsibilities
Development Department Mail Processing
· With Development Associate, open all development department mail
· Process donations by endorsing check with appropriate gift fund and notating important information on gift paperwork such as check date and number
o Run calculator tapes for each donation batch
o Quickly identify gift errors such as check issues
· Utilize Google, ResearchPoint, and other web-based sources to research, organize, and evaluate major gift prospects, new donors, and current donors to identify financial capacity, ability to give, willingness to give, charitable interests, and connection to FCNL’s mission
· Produce in-depth, well-written reports on prospects based on a combination of data from the donor database, available financial records, real estate ownership, and other markers of high capacity donors
· Manage advanced word processing mail merges using provided Raiser’s Edge queries
· Prepare basic gift illustrations using PGCalc software
- Generate response to Planned Giving written/phone inquiries and requests for information in a timely manner
- Assist in the production of the Planned Giving donor newsletter, collateral materials, web presence, email communications, social media and other marketing efforts
- Provide stewardship support to help solidify long-term interest in and commitment to FCNL
Department Administrative Assistance
· Provide administrative support for FCNL’s 1,400-member monthly donor program
o Contact lapsed sustainers via email, postal mail, and phone outreach to renew their giving
o Answer phone, email, and support desk inquiries regarding setting up new monthly gifts, changes to or cancellation of current gifts, etc.
o Send regular acknowledgment letters to new and increased monthly donors; send cancellation statements to donors who end their monthly gift or whose gifts are deeply lapsed
· Perform data entry tasks in Raisers Edge database
o Update constituent contact information and mail preferences
o Create records for new donors
o Build acquisition gift batches during high-volume periods
Experience & Attributes
· Professional and courteous presence, on phone and in person; ability to work with a wide variety of people; good sense of humor.
· Extreme attention to detail is a must.
· Ability to organize work; stay focused; determine priorities; and follow through on responsibilities.
· College graduate preferred.
· Raiser’s Edge or similar data entry experience a plus.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
· Demonstrated ability to work with various other office computer software and communication systems.
· Good oral and written communication skills.
· Ability to work well under pressure and to deal readily with constant change
· Familiar with Friends’ organizations, concerns, and practices is useful.
· General interest in legislative issues and public policy; comfortable with FCNL statement of legislative policy.
Compensation and Work Expectations
This is a 25 hour/week part-time position without benefits. Salary is $15/hour. The workweek is Monday through Friday, 9:00-2:30, which includes a half-hour unpaid lunch break. This position, along with all members of the Development team, is required to work during the December/January holiday period.
FCNL seeks to create a diverse workplace. We are actively soliciting applicants from all ethnic, racial, and religious backgrounds.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send cover letter and resume firstname.lastname@example.org. Only electronic submissions will be accepted. No phone calls please.