P.O. Box 65323
District of Columbia
Position: Systems Administrator
FLSA Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Director of Technology Operations
Location: Washington, DC
Date Issued: March 1, 2016
Date Revised: April 5, 2018
About the Program
The Technology Operations Team at Polaris oversees the organization’s large-scale and growing technology infrastructure. In addition to maintaining internal systems, hardware and infrastructure for 100+ staff, the Technology Operations Team is charged with maintaining the critical computing and telephony infrastructure of the 24/7 National Human Trafficking Hotline, and the systems that underpin the data processing, storage and analysis of tens of thousands of human trafficking cases.
About the Position
With Polaris’ strategic transformation into a data and technology-centric organization, the purview of the Technology Operations Team has grown significantly in size, complexity and sophistication. The team size and budget are on a major growth trajectory. As part of our mission to eradicate human trafficking, Polaris runs and maintains a large number of complex, intricate technical networks and systems. A large number of these systems are categorized as mission-critical, and must allow for as close to 24/7/365 uptime as possible. Additionally, and partially due to its role in disrupting human trafficking networks, Information Security is a top priority for Polaris.
As a member of Polaris’s Operations team, the Systems Administrator is responsible for maintaining all Information Technology (IT) and Informational Security (IS) systems throughout the organization, providing support and improvements for all computers, servers, and systems in production and ensuring 24/7/365 availability of the National Hotline. The position will report directly to the Director of Technology Operations, collaborate with other members of the Technology Operations and Application Development teams, and is located at our office in Washington DC.
- Administer Polaris help desk system; respond to helpdesk tickets and work with staff to resolve their issues in a communicative and professional manner;
- Support day-to-day technical operations of the National Hotlines; ensure 24/7/365 availability and maintain emergency and redundancy systems;
- Support administration, and improve upon, Google Apps, Windows Server environments, Cisco systems, telephony systems, Polaris’ web environment, and other web services;
- Administer data backups and ensure successful restorations;
- Oversee user accounts and integration of intranet;
- Maintain and manage vendor relationships;
- Provide recommendations and when approved, purchase new information technology products, including software and hardware;
- Identify new areas for technology system growth, development, and improvement; taking initiative to propose potential solutions;
- Support major projects to include: research, planning, and implementing new IT systems throughout the organization;
- Consult with Polaris’ partners to provide technical assistance;
- Create and administer RFPs for new software and technology; negotiate best cost and service to ensure management is reviewing best possible bids;
- Process IT onboarding and off-boarding of employees;
- Create and maintain technology operations documentation;
- Conduct security data and physical evaluations for potential new vendors and partners; and
- Assist with other duties related to the work of the technology team as needed.
- Minimum five years of professional work experience working in IT/Technology Operations to include minimum three years of experience managing and configuring a Windows enterprise network environment, at the server OS and desktop OS level, troubleshooting technology/IT issues, such as network connection issues, printing issues, file sharing issues, etc.;
- Demonstrated experience with cloud computing software (e.g. Amazon Web Services);
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate technical concepts to both a technical and non-technical audience.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks under pressure and to be able to adapt quickly to changing situations that reflect organizational needs.
- Commitment to the National Human Trafficking Hotline mission and Polaris values; and
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
This job description provides a summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by individuals in this position. Incumbents may be asked to perform other tasks not specifically written in this job.
- Technology certifications relating to this position such as: Microsoft certifications, CompTIA certifications, CCNA, etc.;
- Experience administrating systems that run a call center environment;
- Experience or exposure to scripting programming languages; and
- Exposure to Linux technologies.
- Internal: Ability to communicate with supervisors and peers; and
- External: Required to communicate regularly via telephone, email and face to face with external customers and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in these settings.
- Typical office setting.
- Ability to sit in a normal seated position for extended periods of time;
- Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard, mouse pad and other office machinery;
- Position requires a degree of mobility common to working in an office environment; bending, kneeling, and standing during events and presentations may be required; and
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Survivors of human trafficking encouraged to apply;
- Subject to a criminal background check;
- Subject to a probationary term contingent on training performance; and
- Request for three professional and/or personal references.
The work of Polaris is grounded in a set of values and organizational beliefs that provide a common starting point for all of our activities. At Polaris, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about combating all forms of human trafficking and who will strive to embody and model these values within the Polaris community and in the anti-trafficking field. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with these values and our mission statement before submitting your application. You can find a full description of our values here.
Minimum Education Required