Liturgical Music Director - Mission and Ministry
The Liturgical Music Director will serve Roman Catholic Life as a staff member on the main campus by providing leadership and expertise in musical worship. The Director will direct student choirs for weekly Roman Catholic worship services and special University Masses. The successful candidate will develop choir members and student musicians (accompanists, cantors, student directors, and instrumentalists). As a pastoral minister, the Director will work with students to help them understand their role as part of the faith community on campus and to develop their leadership skills for future ministry. Duties include but are not limited to:
Promote Participation in Liturgical Music
- Directs Chapel Choir, collaborating with Assistant Director/Accompanist. Recruit and develop student directors, section leaders, choir members, and instrumentalists.
- Oversees Contemporary choir. Recruit and develop student directors, section leaders, choir members, and instrumentalists.
- Oversees music at the 5:00pm Mass as well as the Cantor Program.
- Directs and oversees music rehearsals for all student choirs, sections, instrumentalists, and plan for personal practice time.
- Responsible for weekly orders of worship for all Masses.
Responsible for music at University Masses and other liturgical events
- Directs combined campus ministry choirs and all musical elements of University Masses and special events including NSO, MHS, Parents/Senior Parents Weekends, Gaudete Sunday, Ash Wednesday, Triduum, and Baccalaureate.
- Coordinates and direct all aspects of Annual Advent Lessons and Carols.
- Collaborates with Protestant Music Ministry and the Director of the Gospel Choir.
- Oversees music ministry work of Assistant Director of Liturgical Music.
- Supervises Part-time Director of Music for the 11am Mass and part-time musician.
- Recruits and supervises student workers in music program including choir section leaders, student directors, and instrumentalists.
Support work of liturgical ministry on main campus
- Assists the Director of Liturgy with various organizational aspects of Catholic Masses and special liturgies.
- Assists with recruitment and training for student liturgical ministers as required.
- Serves as staff member on Liturgical Planning Team.
Meetings, Committees, and Programs
- Attends Campus Ministry, Catholic Chaplaincy and Ecumenical staff meetings.
- Collaborates with the Campus Ministry staff for various programming, including but not limited to interfaith programming. Participate in University committees as needed.
- Supports University Liturgical celebrations (NSO, MHS, Jesuit Heritage, Advent, Parent’s/Senior Weekends, As Wednesday, Holy Week, Baccalaureate).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduate degree in music (M.M. required; DMA or Ph.D. preferred) with a secondary expertise in theology, or related field
- Preference will be given to candidates with significant experience in Roman Catholic liturgical music with at least two to four years of experience leading music for worship in the Roman Catholic Church
- The successful candidate will have excellent choral, vocal, and keyboard skills; extensive knowledge of liturgical music repertoire; experience in a variety of Catholic worship styles; and excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Experience working with young adults in an academic setting preferred
- Chapel has Schoenstein Pipe Organ (2014) and Yamaha grand piano
- Candidates will send letter of interest (outlining qualifications, etc.), resume/CV, and names of three professional recommendations
Minimum Education Required