475 Riverside Drive
Combine your love for the built environment and education with a career at the Salvadori Center!
- Did you study architecture, engineering, urban design, or any built environment field?
- Do you love to teach?
- Would you like to share your passion with K-12 students?
If you answered yes, being a Salvadori Educator might be the right job for you.
- The Salvadori Center ~ a leading New York City educational non-profit ~ seeks a Full Time Educator to facilitate off-site classroom instruction in K-12 in-school and after-school programs.
- Teaching Salvadori’s hands-on, project-based programs
- Assisting in the development of STEM/STEAM programs and lessons and curricula with a focus on the built environment
- Scheduling and facilitating a pre-planning meeting and weekly check-ins with teachers whose classes will be participating in the residency
- Leading professional development workshops for adult learners
- Assisting with preparation of materials for Salvadori programs and special events
- Keeping accurate records and documentation of each session
- Submitting reports documenting program accomplishments
- Assisting with planning and preparations for Salvadori’s annual Charrette and Benefit
- Assisting with presentations and/or demonstrations about the Salvadori method
- Organizing, cataloguing, and archiving lessons, materials, photographs, and other program documentation
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred
- Experience teaching or tutoring K-12 students in an in-school or after-school environment
- NYC DOE fingerprint clearance
- Ability to travel within the five boroughs
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Publisher)
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Background in civil engineering, structural engineering, architecture, design, math, or science
- Experience working with diverse student populations in high-need schools or community sites
- Experience with lesson planning and/or curriculum development
- Knowledge of best practices in classroom management and student development
- Familiarity with STEM, Common Core Math Standards, or New York State Standards for Math, Science, and Technology, as well as Blueprint for Teaching and Learning in the Arts
- Ability to work both independently and with others to advance organizational goals
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
About the Salvadori Center:
When the New York Academy of Sciences challenged educators in 1976 to improve the teaching of math and science in middle schools, Salvadori’s founder responded. He showed students how math and science are part of the buildings, bridges, and communities that surround us.
In 1987, the Salvadori Center was founded with three main principles:
- Engage students through project-based exercises
- Use the built environment to illustrate the relevance of math and science
- Employ collaborative problem solving that involves all learners
Today, we hold true to our founding principles.Salvadori’s programs celebrate our collaborative, hands-on and project-based approach to learning through the built environment with programs that:
- Promote college and career readiness for all students
- Emphasize higher-order skills
- Produce student work that reflects high levels of thinking, participation, and ownership
We offer a variety of multi-day in-school and after-school programs that enable every child to succeed, as well as professional development workshops that provide teachers with a strong foundation in project-based learning. All Salvadori curricula link to Common Core Learning Standards, Next Generation Science Standards, Blueprint for Teaching and Learning in the Arts, and grade-specific learning objectives.
After participating in Salvadori programs, thousands of students see their world differently. They understand how buildings stand up, how bridges support such heavy loads and, most importantly, they understand “why they need to know this.”
Salvadori students achieve a greater understanding of math and science than students in traditional learning environments; they see it and feel it in the classes they enter, the bridges they cross, and the communities they live in.
- 52 leave days a year
-15 vacation days
-2 personal days
-9 sick days
-10 days’ summer leave (typically two consecutive weeks in August)
- no-cost individual health insurance (no co-pays, deductibles, or contribution), plus vision, dental, and life insurance (after (3) months of employment)
- 403(b) plan where Salvadori contributes an additional 5% of employees’ salaries without a matching requirement (after (6) months of employment)
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply: Submit resume, cover letter and sample lesson plan in PDF format only to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Full-Time Educator Application. Please use this format when submitting your
application: FirstInitialFullLastName_Document, for example JSmith_Resume, JSmith_CoverLetter, JSmith_LessonPlan) and mention where you saw this ad. No phone calls, please.
Anticipated Start Date: ASAP