546 East Main Street
Full Posting: Social Worker-KY Kid’s RISE Project
Summary: Legal Aid of the Bluegrass seeks a Social Worker to serve its 33 county service area but in particular, targeting two northern counties and 5 rural northeastern counties in a project based approach. With project legal staff, the Social Worker will serve child victims of the opioid crisis and their caretakers to help stabilize the children, bring resources to the family and assure that child victims can access educational systems. Goals are to: develop a trauma informed community response to serving child victims of the opioid crisis and their caretakers; provide appropriate case management services; develop new partnerships; raise community awareness; and with legal staff, use the civil legal system to stabilize children’s lives, develop and staff trainings for partners, and participate in clinics to help children with their educational needs. The successful applicants will also work with two full time lawyers in a holistic team approach. The position will be placed in the office located near the geographic target areas.
Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is a dynamic civil legal aid provider seeking public interest minded staff to help us reach our goals of alleviating the profound and brutal effect of poverty on people’s lives. Our offices are located in Covington, Lexington, Ashland and Morehead. As a team member at Legal Aid of the Bluegrass, a social worker can participate with us in ensuring fairness, protecting families and changing lives through the civil legal system.
Under the supervision of the Unit Manager, the Social Worker works in a team approach in a law office setting to identify legal clients in need of wraparound services, and advocate for them and develop plans to stabilize client families. The Social Worker must be self-motivated and must be able to work autonomously to help develop and implement work plans and project-based activities with only general direction.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The Social Worker will:
- Conduct case management activities for families and children.
- When needed, conduct psychosocial assessments and implement the linking and delivery of wraparound services to children and families.
- Develop knowledge about available community resources. Develop resources for families and children in crisis that can be used in LABG’s day to day work.
- Initiate, foster, and nurture relationships with new community partners to best serve the needs of families and children. Work in collaboration with community partners to develop new initiatives to improve the lives and outcomes of families and children. Outreach to LABG’s communities to reach populations targeted for service.
- Actively participate in staff and planning meetings, task forces, community meetings and trainings if required.
- Interact with clients, other staff members, service providers, community partners and, when applicable, court and administrative officials in a professional, appropriate, collegial, and cooperative manner. Establish and maintain relationships with clients to establish trust and obtain accurate and complete information.
- Identify and pursue individual training needs and work with Program Administration to address those needs.
- Maintain time records of all work related activities, enter accurate time and reporting data on a timely basis into LABG’s electronic case management system
- Participate in planning a new project, developing new partnerships, raising awareness and designing and implementing clinics and outreach events for children and their caretakers affected by opioid crimes.
- Work with two staff attorneys in multi-disciplinary approach to addressing issues.
Requirements, Skill & Abilities include:
- Must hold a Bachelor’s of Social Work or related degree from an accredited college or university required. Masters of Social Work or license preferred.
- Ability to use office and computer technology, including case management and word processing software.
- Ability to balance client-advocacy and administrative responsibilities.
With a 50-year history of making a positive impact in Kentucky, Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is a non-profit law firm providing civil legal assistance to nearly 220,000 low income people in 33 counties from 4 offices located in Covington, Lexington, Morehead and Ashland. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass’ legal practice is primarily in the areas of family law, domestic violence, government and VA benefits, and housing and consumer law. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and encourages professional development. The position is open until filled.
Qualified Candidates should send resume and statement of interest to Resumes@lablaw.org with the subject line Social Worker-KY Kid’s RISE. Please note in order of priority the office locations in which you are willing to work.
Minimum Education Required