Details: $17 - $19 up to 20 hours per week, with prorated sick, vacation and holidays
166 Eddy Street
Based in San Francisco’s Tenderloin District, the Vietnamese Youth Development Center (VYDC) is a multi-service agency offering services in employment and leadership training, education support and advocacy as well as individual and family counseling for immigrant and low-income youth and their families. The Center’s programs help to divert youth by providing constructive activities that impact their world increase their individual and cultural pride as well as build community spirit. Founded over 40 years ago, VYDC serves over 500 young people of all background each year.
VYDC is currently seeking a Part-time Program Assistant to support our Academic program and administrative duties on behalf of our organizations. The Program Assistant will provide program, administrative, and supervision support for our Academic program serving 6-18 years old participating at our Center. The Program Assistant will support the After School Program Coordinator to provide opportunities for students to develop and strengthen academic and social skills along with engaging fun activities during the school year and summer. S/he will also supervise a small team of high school volunteer tutors and youth workers.
- Lead a team of the youth worker.
- Support volunteer tutors to ensure positive learning environment and program best practices.
- Facilitate and plan academic skill-building activities based on students' skill level and state educational standards.
- Provide homework and academic support for program participants.
- Under supervision of Supervisor, develop daily lesson plans.
- Create, plan, and facilitate engaging enrichment and physical activities for students.
- Give and clearly explain instructions for the assignments given.
- Support students in developing the skills they need to be successful in school and life.
- Communicate with stakeholders regarding student progress and performance.
- Ensure and promote program visibility by recruiting volunteers and participants.
- Assist with acquiring and leveraging in-kind resources to support activities.
- Assist with paperwork and files
- Attend required professional development training.
- Other duties assigned by Direct Supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be able to work between the hours of 2:30 pm to 6:30 pm Monday through Friday, up to 20 hours per week
- Experience working with youth strongly preferred
- Experience working in a group child care setting with elementary and/or middle school aged children (applicable volunteer experience may be considered)
- Experience coordinating activities and services, preferably for youth
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Highly collaborative
- Must pass TB and Fingerprint Clearance prior to working at VYDC
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, patience, diplomacy, and tact.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail, accuracy, and ability to meet deadlines and objectives.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment with a diverse staff and clientele.
- Bilingual and/or bicultural in a Southeast Asian language (Cambodian, Laotian or Vietnamese) is preferred.
If interested, please send cover letter and resume addressing to Khanh Nguyen at firstname.lastname@example.org or VYDC, 166 Eddy Street, San Francisco, CA 94102. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to embracing diversity and consider all applicants for all positions without regard to color, ethnic background, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, HIV/AIDS or veteran status.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required