Details: Commensurate with experience.
Job Title: Southern CA Lead Organizer
Reports To: Associate Director, Youth Organizing
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Salary: $48,000-53,000 - commensurate with experience, plus generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits
Genders & Sexualities Alliance Network (GSA Network) is a national next-generation LGBTQ racial and gender justice organization that empowers and trains trans, queer and allied youth leaders to advocate, organize, and mobilize an intersectional movement for safer and healthier schools. GSA Network of California is GSA Network’s youth organizing and leadership program that currently runs a network of more than 1100 GSA clubs throughout California. GSA Network is guided by our vision of full equality and social justice for all trans and queer people. We have developed a model of grassroots organizing that trains youth activists to understand and challenge multiple systems of oppressions, in order to develop trans, queer, and allied leaders with a vision for broad social justice. Grounded in this model, GSA Network is building the GSA movement by providing resources, training, and grassroots organizing support to youth activists working to educate schools and communities about trans and queer issues and change public policy. As a national leader in the LGBT, safe schools, and education justice movements, this is an exciting time for GSA Network as we expand our impact in California and nationally, and grow our team. You can learn more about our work at www.gsanetwork.org.
The Southern California Lead Organizer position is a full-time position located in Los Angeles. This full-time position is responsible for working with a small team of organizing staff, comprised of a local and field organizer, to support LGBT youth and youth in GSA clubs. The Lead Organizer would oversee the regions’ programs that train youth leaders across Southern California to engage in grassroots organizing and policy advocacy. Key responsibilities include, staff supervision and administration, program development and evaluation, grassroots organizing, youth leadership development, youth organizing and campaign development, policy advocacy, project management and grant reporting.
We are seeking an experienced staff manager, administrator and organizer who wants to build and strengthen GSA Network’s organizing, base-building, and campaign work in Southern CA. GSA Network is seeking a mid to senior level manager with community organizing experience who wants to play a critical part in deepening GSA Network’s youth organizing work, developing and supporting youth led campaigns for education, gender, racial and economic justice. The ideal candidate will have experience managing a team of organizers working across a variety of communities and issues as well as developing and evaluating youth leadership development programs and youth led campaigns. Strong candidates should have a proven track record of community organizing, developing youth leaders and mobilizing large numbers of youth members to actions, meetings and other campaign activities. The ideal candidate for this position will understand the importance of integrating strong youth leadership development with the development of bottom up organizing structures that will engage and mobilize large numbers of GSA youth members in our work each year.
Additionally, the Lead Organizer is responsible for overall regional planning and program implementation throughout the Southern California region. The Lead Organizer will provide training and support to student leaders in grassroots school-based organizing and program implementation throughout their region. The Southern California Lead Organizer not only supervises organizers that work with youth but also works directly with trans, queer, and straight ally youth and adult advisors involved with nearly 500 GSA clubs throughout Southern California. The Lead Organizer is responsible for providing the support and planning to create the atmosphere, culture and infrastructure to enable youth to be the leaders of our work. The Lead Organizer must have a valid driver's license, reliable access to a car, automobile insurance coverage, and the ability to travel throughout the region and drive youth to events and trainings. The Lead Organizer must be willing to regularly work on evenings and some weekends. A demonstrated passion for LGBTQ youth leadership and empowerment, an understanding of youth culture, and commitment to social change is required for all positions at GSA Network.
Regional Leadership: Supervision and Administration
- Strategize and lead the vision for building a robust youth base in Southern CA
- Oversee and manage the GSA Network Southern CA Regional Office; provide supervision support to 2-4 organizing staff (2 FT & up to 2 PT interns)
- Oversee and ensure implementation of the regional work plan and goals for the next two years
- Support field staff on the carrying out of programmatic activities such as summits, conferences, advocacy trainings and activist camp
- Foster positive work environment and team culture
- Oversee our active and strategic engagement in regional coalitions such as the Brothers, Sons, Selves Coalition, Building Healthy Communities coalitions in Boyle Heights, Long Beach, and South LA, and other local coalitions relevant to trans and queer youth justice
- Prepare and deliver annual performance evaluations to supervisees
- Oversee, administer the region’s programmatic budget
- Provide administrative support to the staff by ensuring timely completion of their administrative tasks as payroll, expense reimbursements, and stipend management
- Maintain consistent communication with management on the progress of the region’s work
- Represent GSA Network in partnerships and coalitions. This position is the main representative of our work for speaking engagements in this region
- Support staff’s tracking of relevant activities, contacts, and youth participation through Civi database
- Support our Director of Development and Communication with grant reporting
- Provide support to staff with completion of administrative tasks
- Ensure team’s compliance to financial policies
- Other office or administrative duties as needed
Direct Organizing Work
- Provide organizing support to the GSA and LGBTQ youth organizing efforts in the region
- Identify priority areas for base building and GSA development; current priority areas are Boyle Heights, South LA and Long Beach
- Build and carry out an organizing strategy to maintain an active base of youth leaders from priority schools
- Cultivate strong and thriving GSA clubs in priority schools through regular site visits, one-on-ones, GSA trainings, and coaching
- Represent GSA Network in regional coalitions and meetings
- Assess opportunities for school-based campaigns and coach and support youth leaders and organizers in running a meaningful campaign at priority schools
- Foster active representation of youth leadership from priority organizing areas for GSA Network programs and campaigns
- Carry out 1-2 youth summits/events for youth in collaboration with community partner organizations on topics relevant to LGBTQ youth of color in each priority area
- Other duties as appropriate to build our base of youth leaders and partnerships
- Provide periodic supervision and direction to the staff leading local organizing and coalition work
Other Regional & Programmatic Field Support
- Support the Southern CA Field Organizer in coordinating our annual 3-day summer Activist Camp in the summer of 2018
- Support Summits and events that occur in the Southern CA Region as needed
- Support special projects and additional regional collaborations on other agency objectives as needed
- 3-5 years youth organizing expierence (LGBTQ youth or schools based organizing a plus)
- 2-3 years campaign experience
- At least 1-3 years experience in supervision and staff management (of a team of at least 2)
- At least 1-3 years experience in project management, program planning, and evaluation in non-profit setting
- Youth led training and curriculum development experience
- Knowledge of and direct experience with grassroots community organizing and coalition building
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills
- Excellent writing skills required
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including public speaking, meeting facilitation, and conflict resolution
- Solid time management & administrative skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, anti-oppression work, and LGBTQ rights
- Desire to grow with fast-paced organization
- Bilingual (Spanish & English) a plus
- Knowledge of schools in Boyle Heights and East LA a plus
- Ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and with people from a variety of different racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, educational, religious, sexual, gender, and generational backgrounds
- Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends.
- Experience running a statewide or regional GSA Network or similar youth organizing program a plus
Generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual Spanish and English a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply via GSA Network's RecruiterBox platform: https://gsanetwork.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0fgbc
Deadline for applications is March 15, 2018, however, the position will be filled as soon as the appropriate candidate is found. It is therefore recommended that you submit your materials as promptly as possible. The ideal start date is April 2018.
Equal Opportunity Employer
GSA Network is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from youth, people of color, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and people with disabilities.